DM-ing in Boracay???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marm, if you decide to stay outside SABANG, Little Laguna and Big Laguna (the tourist areas) and arrange transportation to the dive center, you probably can make it for under 500$. But then you'll be isolated a bit. In these places, if cleanliness isn't your main priority, maybe also. if you have high standards, it's going to cost more than 500$...

6 weeks for the DM, IDC and more? Honnestly, I think you're pushing it a bit too far. I found 5 weeks for my rescue and DM course to hardly be enough. if you can, I think you should be looking for longer term education with internships... As for the price of the IDC courses, sorry can't help you! You'll have to do some shopping!:coffee:

Cleanliness is definitely not my main priority, so long as I got my own bathroom. But I do mind being far away from the dive shop

Maybe I’ll spend roughly 6 weeks on DM, then move straight onto IDC. I know I am pushing it too far but I am not sure my pocket would hold out any longer than 2 months of out-of-work:(*phew*

Poor me... maybe I should just apply for a loan from WorldBank...

The cheapest I found in Sabang was 600 pesos a night (long term). It was at Reynaldos.
6 weeks for DM is plenty in my oppinion, especially if you intend on moving up to IDC afterwards (but I don't think it's enough if you want to do both). If you can, buy the books beforehand (have the dive center deduct them from your fees) and get all the reading and knowledge reviews done before you get there. i did it that way and boy am I glad I did! You'll have your evenings free while over there!

Cheers!:coffee:

Why not do the DM there in your place first? If your thinking of heading straight for the IDC after the DM course but on a timetable that is probably the best way to do it.
You can get a basic room with bathroom and small kitchen for as low as USD250 a month. If you know how to cook, there is a wet market and grocery stores in the area that you can get supplies from that will bring down your food cost.
Asia divers offers an IDC program with a free one-month internship after you complete the IE. Their IDC program runs to about 20 days including the prep days. Your better of spending your two months with this program in my opinion.
Their course cost can be found on their website Scuba Diving Philippines Puerto Galera El Galleon Asia Divers Beach Resort

The cheapest I found in Sabang was 600 pesos a night (long term). It was at Reynaldos.
6 weeks for DM is plenty in my oppinion, especially if you intend on moving up to IDC afterwards (but I don't think it's enough if you want to do both). If you can, buy the books beforehand (have the dive center deduct them from your fees) and get all the reading and knowledge reviews done before you get there. i did it that way and boy am I glad I did! You'll have your evenings free while over there!

Cheers!:coffee:

the 600pesos-a-night can really add up for me...looks like the accomodation in PG is at par with those in Boracay! I thought it would be way less cheaper than Boracay tho.

good for you...got evenings free...for some action maybe????:eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:

:coffee:

Yup! Lots of action! Drinking SMP with good friends at the dive center! oh and later on, around 8:30pm, a few more beers with friends, while eating Lucas Pizza and watching "Lobo" on a giant Plasma TV!!!! It can,t get much better than that!

As far as the lodging goes, I didn,t shop all that much so maybe you can get cheaper. but as I said, if you want really really cheap, you need to start looking further out of town! Probably still walking distance, but definetly not right next door! It's just going to take more effort to find... Speaking the language would definetly help... My Tagalog wasn,t very good at the time (still isn't!!!! :rofl3:).

Why not do the DM there in your place first? If your thinking of heading straight for the IDC after the DM course but on a timetable that is probably the best way to do it.
You can get a basic room with bathroom and small kitchen for as low as USD250 a month. If you know how to cook, there is a wet market and grocery stores in the area that you can get supplies from that will bring down your food cost.
Asia divers offers an IDC program with a free one-month internship after you complete the IE. Their IDC program runs to about 20 days including the prep days. Your better of spending your two months with this program in my opinion.
Their course cost can be found on their website Scuba Diving Philippines Puerto Galera El Galleon Asia Divers Beach Resort

If only there are any dive sites in my area...

I was doing some research on the dive sites in the Philippines, and came across an island called Batayan. I saw the pics of the beaches in Sta Fe and they look awesome! i prefer to have my internship somewhere with a really nice beach and cheap accomodation. so what do u think abt an internship in Batayan?

I am now more confused than ever...:confused::confused: why can't the philippines have but just one dive site?!

Santa Fe has some really nice beaches but unfortunately there is no dive shop on Bantayan. It is a great island though for beach going.

Malapascua is the next island over you might wanna check out. Alona beach is another place - you can get per month housing over there. PM Gilligan for more info. He's there right now. But I'm unsure how cheaper it would be compared to PG.

edit: check out this thread for more ideas for places: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...635-philippines-promotion-picture-thread.html

I actually posted some pics from Bantayan.

Marmalade, If I may say something here... You need to decide on something important here!!!! And either if fine, but you must make a decision based on your priorities...

1- Are you doing a DM and IDC course in order to work afterwards and make a living in the dive profession? This is fine but in this case, you need to stop priorising Beaches, and cheapness. Start looking for the best place to get a top quality course and have the best chances of working afterwards! Then, if it's a nice place (and cheap) that's great too. But your top priority should be increasing your chances of working afterwards...

2- Are you doing these courses in order to have a great time in a great place? And actually working afterwards isn't that great a concern? In this case, definetly choose a location that has the environment you prefer! The find a decent dive shop to give you the course. But anything that will affect your fun, should be a deciding factor.

The diving industry is very difficult! There are lots of people who dream of making a living at it, and most don't succeed! If that really is your objective, you need to put chances on your side and get the best education and make the best contacts possible! Not find the best beaches!:14:

No matter what you want is OK! But decide what you really want, and then make the appropriate choices in accordance! Your best options for working in the industry might not match the best choices for a fun diving/ educational vacation!

Just trying to help!:coffee:

Marmalade, If I may say something here... You need to decide on something important here!!!! And either if fine, but you must make a decision based on your priorities...

1- Are you doing a DM and IDC course in order to work afterwards and make a living in the dive profession? This is fine but in this case, you need to stop priorising Beaches, and cheapness. Start looking for the best place to get a top quality course and have the best chances of working afterwards! Then, if it's a nice place (and cheap) that's great too. But your top priority should be increasing your chances of working afterwards...

2- Are you doing these courses in order to have a great time in a great place? And actually working afterwards isn't that great a concern? In this case, definetly choose a location that has the environment you prefer! The find a decent dive shop to give you the course. But anything that will affect your fun, should be a deciding factor.

The diving industry is very difficult! There are lots of people who dream of making a living at it, and most don't succeed! If that really is your objective, you need to put chances on your side and get the best education and make the best contacts possible! Not find the best beaches!:14:

No matter what you want is OK! But decide what you really want, and then make the appropriate choices in accordance! Your best options for working in the industry might not match the best choices for a fun diving/ educational vacation!

Just trying to help!:coffee:

My top priority will always be doing DM and IDC so that I can work in the industry right after. But it would be nice if I can have them somewhere with a nice beach. Maybe this is my wishful thinking afterall.

I never thought the industry would be this difficult. I always thought there are always a lot of instructors who would just come and go and that there are always openings in dive shops...

:coffee:

Back
Top Bottom