DM-ing in Boracay???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marmalade

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there! I got a few Qs. that I desperately need answers to.

I had my Rescue Course 2 years ago and am thinking about doing my DiveMaster in Boracay. Is Chinese speaking DMs in high demand in Boracay?( I also speak English.) What's the chance that I'd be able to find a job as DM in Boracay?

Also, is it true that you have to OWN a full set of gear in order to take the IDC/IE?

thx soooooo much!:mooner:

Taking your DM training in Boracay is okay. Taking a DM job requires proper work permits etc. I would recommend that you go elsewhere if you want to DM in the PI. Most of the DM jobs are filled by locals (and most speak 3 or 4 languages).
As for personal gear....well, if you are going to go Pro then it would seem that you would want to invest in your own gear. If you review the GS&P you will find that PADI does not require you to own your equipment for IDC or the IE. See pages 36 & 37 of the 2008 Instructor Manual, General Standards and Procedures Chapter. All candidates depend on their own gear to get them through the course and their professional career.

Hey there! I got a few Qs. that I desperately need answers to.

I had my Rescue Course 2 years ago and am thinking about doing my DiveMaster in Boracay. Is Chinese speaking DMs in high demand in Boracay?( I also speak English.) What's the chance that I'd be able to find a job as DM in Boracay?

Also, is it true that you have to OWN a full set of gear in order to take the IDC/IE?

thx soooooo much!:mooner:

Awwww....

I have always wanted to move to Boracay...*dream shattered* :(
But thanks anyway Babydamulag =)))

What about Chinese-speaking instructors? are they in high demand in Boracay?

really really want to have my dream come true!

I would say yes - plenty of HK goers visit Boracay. Anyone who can speak multiple languages is a good asset. Would that be Mandarin or Cantonese you speak? A favourite training ground is Puerto Galera and my bet is that is where Baby D will reco you take your DMship.

Awwww....

I have always wanted to move to Boracay...*dream shattered* :(
But thanks anyway Babydamulag =)))

What about Chinese-speaking instructors? are they in high demand in Boracay?

really really want to have my dream come true!

don't give up. I would go there in Aug or so, before the high season. Start taking your course and hang out and dive. There are lots of part timers that come and go but there's a pretty high turnover also in a lot of dive shops. I think you could make it happen if you just go for it.

a number of dive shops in the country get bus loads of mandarin speaking clients nowadays. its an emerging market for the dive industry (and most other industries it seems) :)

Are you planning just to work as a DM or do you want to get an instructor cert?
allot of locals are DM's but the majority of instructors are European. Boracay is starting to receive allot of Chinese tourists and the phil government is pushing Phil tourism in China. I think your chances are good but shops that hire freelance want experienced DM's. So you may need to move there and dive the area until you are fluent. I recommend Calypso it's a padi 5-star and easily the best shop I have ever dived with id you want to go for your IDC.

Having read all your advice, I am on Cloud 9!:blinking:

thxxxxx

and if you are a foreigner, better apply for a labor department working permit, from immgration at Boracay, apply a working visa, anyway, thier are plenty of Pilipino Chinese openwater instructor that can speak Putonghua, Fookinese(taiwanese),and cantonese, work as D.M. or OWSI, is too competitive, if really like to work for experiences only(no Pay), you are very much welcome, otherwise, become a Chinese speaking Megalodon tec dive instructor to complete with only one in the world, or marry a Boracay girl, bring in CAPITAL, then I be your customer! of course you are very welcome to bring in money here and set up your family here too.!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom