DIY trilam drysuit sock replacement: NEED SOURCE for cheaper alternative to DUI CF.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave4868

Old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Someone out there will know....(I love this place!). :D

This year, my winter DIY projects will include replacing my own crushed neoprene socks on my DUI trilaminate suits (CLx450 and TLS350).

Does anyone know of a good source of a cheaper, but equivalent, alternative to DUI's CF200 socks? They're $180/pair at DUI. (I know that's not much money for some people, but it's the principle of the thing....) :wink:

Also, can someone who's done this job share some tips?

I've done DIY replacement of latex seals, a diagonal zipper, some stitching, sealing, and valve work, so I'm pretty confident.... I've just never done sock replacement. Sooo...it's about time I did! :D

I assume it's best to sew the socks in, right? (I have a capable sewing machine finally!)

Any pitfalls to avoid? :shocked2:

Thanks in advance!

Dave C

Since you are a DIY'er why not take it all the way and then show us your skill.

Create your own pattern, stitch up the sock, invert it, waterproof it, add a sole, attach it to the suit, seal it and show it off. :D

How about a pattern without the seam right at the toes for a start.
Sounds like fun to me!

Since you are a DIY'er why not take it all the way and then show us your skill.

Create your own pattern, stitch up the sock, invert it, waterproof it, add a sole, attach it to the suit, seal it and show it off. :D

How about a pattern without the seam right at the toes for a start.
Sounds like fun to me!

:D Now you're talkin'! Just to get rid of that irritating mid-seam on the toes, I'd be willing to hand-stitch a custom sock! (I don't have a blind stitch machine, unfortunately...)

Seriously, if I could get crushed neoprene material, I'd try it. :)

Dave C

Would it have to be blind stitched? Why ,not use an old 3mm suit?

If you stitched two layers together to create a foot pocket and left the correct amount outside the stitch boundary when you inverted the sock the excess would come together to create a second layer for comfort. If you used a semi-liquid waterproofing or coated it all with Contact cement the second layer could be stuck to the first on the bottom. The top would be a single layer without seams. Cover the double layer with an insole replacement and the line down the middle would be gone. Find some cheap sandals with the sole you like, remove the straps and glue to bottom. You would have a Turbo sole style without seams, and a way to recycle those old 3mm suits you wore out.

Just a thought.

Would it have to be blind stitched? Why ,not use an old 3mm suit?

If you stitched two layers together to create a foot pocket and left the correct amount outside the stitch boundary when you inverted the sock the excess would come together to create a second layer for comfort. If you used a semi-liquid waterproofing or coated it all with Contact cement the second layer could be stuck to the first on the bottom. The top would be a single layer without seams. Cover the double layer with an insole replacement and the line down the middle would be gone. Find some cheap sandals with the sole you like, remove the straps and glue to bottom. You would have a Turbo sole style without seams, and a way to recycle those old 3mm suits you wore out.

Just a thought.

Regular 3mm neoprene was something I hadn't considered, thanks. It's certainly more readily available, although, personally, I never owned a tropical suit, being mostly a coldwater diver.... :D

However, one thing that I want to retain is the use of removable outer boots over the sock, which makes me wonder if the regular 3mm neoprene could withstand the inevitable chafing.

Somewhere, I've got some notes from calls I made a few years ago to a repair facility that was using a cheaper substitute for the DUI CF sock. They might have been offering Pinnacle socks for about $100, but I can't be sure since I've got a bad case of C.R.S. (bad memory). :wink:

I'm hoping someone will hand me the answer so I don't have to go on a major trek through my jungle of notes.... :shakehead:

Dave C

I use dry socks I got from REI, thin neoprene designed for white water kayaking, they work well w/ my DUI TLS suit.

Great question, and one i failed to find a satisfactory answer to when i was looking at replacing my latex boots last year.

I think i may end up getting a pair of the OS Systems latex boots and using a wetsuit boot over the top. Cost should be around $100 or so for both- i just havent plucked up the courage to cut the old boots off, even though they are a size small and very hard to get into.

Id be interested if you find the solution, let me know how it works out.

Great question, and one i failed to find a satisfactory answer to when i was looking at replacing my latex boots last year.

I think i may end up getting a pair of the OS Systems latex boots and using a wetsuit boot over the top. Cost should be around $100 or so for both- i just havent plucked up the courage to cut the old boots off, even though they are a size small and very hard to get into.

Id be interested if you find the solution, let me know how it works out.

Thanks for your info and alternatives. I hadn't considered latex before.

I just heard about Steve Gamble's site for drysuit repair and I saw he's got 3.5mm compressed neoprene socks.

Repairs

I'll probably call this week and find out how it compares with CF200. I'll post what I find out.

Dave C

Any update on those 3.5mm neoprenes from Gamble? Very interested if the price is right.

Any update on those 3.5mm neoprenes from Gamble? Very interested if the price is right.

Thanks for reminding me! (The real problem was sloth, not memory, though....) :shakehead:

I'll give him a call tomorrow and post what I find out.

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom