DIY trilam drysuit sock replacement: NEED SOURCE for cheaper alternative to DUI CF.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah shoot, I misread the header on this and thought you were going to make your own trilam drysuit.
Steve Gamble has the boots and so do Ocean Systems. Make sure that you use the appropriate glue for this. Be a shame to do a most excellent job and not have compatible glues.
OS Systems - The Drysuit People
I don't think the socks are sewn in on my OS drysuit. The glue sure is tough - it rubbed my ankles raw when I forgot to wear socks down there.

Ah shoot, I misread the header on this and thought you were going to make your own trilam drysuit.
Steve Gamble has the boots and so do Ocean Systems. Make sure that you use the appropriate glue for this. Be a shame to do a most excellent job and not have compatible glues.
OS Systems - The Drysuit People
I don't think the socks are sewn in on my OS drysuit. The glue sure is tough - it rubbed my ankles raw when I forgot to wear socks down there.

Naw, I haven't got the gumption to make complete drysuit! Think I'm completely crazy? :rofl3:

The original DUI CF-200 socks were sewn on and I'm going to see if my home machine can do it (it's an old Kenmore, but a strong one). Otherwise, I'll glue them on with S-18, an excellent contact cement that I've used for zippers and seals, etc.

Someday, I'll try the PB-300, as I've heard it has some advantages.

I may also check the sock price at OSS.

Thanks! Will post later. :)

Dave C

Any update on those 3.5mm neoprenes from Gamble? Very interested if the price is right.

Today, I finally measured my old DUI CF-200 (1.5mm) socks, checked their fit with my heaviest foot insulation and gave Steve Gamble a call about his 3.5mm compressed neoprene drysuit socks.

Steve Gamble Scuba (352) 379-0653, Gainesville, Florida.

http://www.gamblescuba.com/

First, let me just say that Steve is one of those people you immediately appreciate for their knowledge and their generosity in sharing that knowledge! His drysuit repair operation is very busy right now, but he was very outgoing and volunteered advice and DIY tips as he measured his 3.5mm compressed socks to match my DUI sock measurements. :)

Here's what I learned about his 3.5mm compressed neoprene drysuit socks:
  • The material has more stretch than the DUI CF-200 socks
  • The size and proportion matched well, having a little more room in the instep area than the DUI, which is a plus for me when I have my full insulation (Steve has several sizes available)
  • He's had no reports of durability problems so far (he's been installing them for well over a year)
  • With a trilaminate suit, glueing the socks on is fine (sewing is not necessary)
  • The insides of the sock seams need to be Aquasealed (Steve uses three thin coats to avoid excessively thick and stiff beads. As a result, the material retains more stretchability and flexibility)
  • Steve prefers to mount the sock inside the suit leg, not outside, so the joint is less likely to catch on objects and be stressed or pulled away from the suit material
  • If a cosmetic trim is desired, a 1" wide strip of 1mm neoprene can be glued over the joint (the neoprene is smooth one side, with the nylon lined side outward)
  • Price is $90 for a pair of 3.5mm compressed neoprene drysuit socks ($115 if Steve Aquaseals the seams), plus shipping
So, of course, I ordered a pair of the 3.5mm socks, plus some 1mm trim neoprene, plus some materials for another DIY project (3.3mm neoprene to make more neck bands to wear over my latex neck seal in the winter, and some Melco tape to secure the neck band butt joints).

All that for $100 plus shipping. That's a great deal in my book, especially with the helpful tips and nice experience talking with Steve! :)

When I receive the socks, if I don't think they'll work for me, Steve said he'd take them back for a refund. No problem.

My only remaining concerns are how the thicker material will fit into my Rockboots. With the thinner CF-200 socks, when I have my heaviest insulation on, even when using Rockboots two sizes larger than my shoe size, the boots are getting snug. Alternatives might be to go to a boot with a roomier fit, but same length.

Also, when I cut back on the insulation and use a Rockboot only one size larger than my shoe size, CF-200 is thin and flexible enough to fold out of the way. I'm hoping the 3.5mm compressed neoprene can be folded out of the way without feeling the folds.

I'll post more when I get the boots and when I do the DIY installation. After talking with Steve Gamble, my confidence is definitely building! :)

Dave C

Last edited:
Awesome!!! Thats a really great price, and with all the pointers, a bargain.

Cant wait for your write-up of the DIY.

It didn't take long before I received the 3.5mm compressed neoprene socks from Steve Gamble and it appears they will be an excellent alternative to the DUI CF-200 1.5mm socks.

They are supple, soft, stretchy and have a rough exterior nylon lining and smooth interior nylon lining. The linings look like they will be long-wearing.

The size and shape closely approximates the DUI CF-200 sock.

They will probably be slightly warmer.

Despite the thicker material, they fit well over my usual winter foot insulation of doubled Merino wool socks. They fit into my 2-sizes oversized Rockboots with enough room to avoid constriction, just the way I like.

I'll post again when I finally get around to installing them; it looks pretty easy! (Famous Last Words). :D

Dave C

Sounds Great

Out of interest, what is the diameter of the opening in the top of the sock and how far do you think that will stretch to comfortably? i ask because my wierd sized legson my DS have 17.5" ankles and i was hoping to pick some of these up as a replacement.

thanks

Out of interest, what is the diameter of the opening in the top of the sock and how far do you think that will stretch to comfortably? i ask because my wierd sized legson my DS have 17.5" ankles and i was hoping to pick some of these up as a replacement.

The calculated inside circumference of the 3.5mm neoprene sock is 14 3/8" (a doubling of the actual linear inside width measurement of 7 3/16" taken with the sock laying flat). Outside circumference will be increased by twice the thickness of the material, or by a total of about 1/4".

In terms of single thickness stretch, I can safely stretch a 2" section only about 50%, but that requires significant tension.

It even requires substantial tension to stretch the sock opening laterally from 7 3/16" to 8 3/4", to simulate your suit's ankle opening.

If I follow Steve Gamble's suggestion and mount these socks inside my DUI TLS350's 15" ankle circumference, they should fit well with minimal tension or compression. The same would be true if mounted outside.

I'm going to guess you'll need to find a sock that more closely matches your suit's ankle opening, unfortunately.

Perhaps Steve Gamble has a sock that will fit your suit.

I'll be interested to know what you find out. :)

Dave C

Last edited:
hmm, might have to reduce the ankle width on my suit a couple inches or so to make that work. Not quite the easy DIY i hoped, but doable if i cut a v-notch and glue the sides together. I know there is a real seamster term for it, but im drawing a blank.

Thanks for taking the measurements. Really appreciate it.

hmm, might have to reduce the ankle width on my suit a couple inches or so to make that work. Not quite the easy DIY i hoped, but doable if i cut a v-notch and glue the sides together. I know there is a real seamster term for it, but im drawing a blank.

Thanks for taking the measurements. Really appreciate it.

Happy to help. :)

I think the term is to cut a "dart", or wedge-shaped piece out of the material to alter the fit.

Is your suit neoprene or trilaminate?

Trilaminate has lengthwise seams down each side of the leg that could be opened up, altered, resewn, and resealed with Aquaseal.

I believe neoprene will be a bit different in that reinforcement will be needed at any glued joints that have stretch, including the joint with the neoprene sock. I don't know whether that means Melco tape or blind-stitching. I have no experience with neoprene (yet).

Since trilaminate doesn't stretch, it won't need reinforcing at the joint with the socks, if I understand it correctly.

Either way, I wouldn't alter the suit until looking into whether there are neoprene socks with a larger top opening to match your suit exactly. Since drysuits aren't fully standardized, it would make sense that a variety of sock sizes would be available. :D

Dave C

Cutting a dart- thats exactly the term i wanted.

Yeah, its a trilam. Heavy duty, but i can see where i can modify the seam and narrow the hole a little.

Thanks again for the advice, looking forward to your write-up. Hopefully, ill be able to get the needed parts ordered soon for starting the mods in a couple of weeks. Thats going to be a real fun weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom