DIY for an old tank.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich Keller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
BBQ.jpg

Looks like a great idea for all those pre-89 Al tanks that no one will fill.
The tank in the picture looks like a steel. Aluminum has a melting point of 660 degrees Celsius. Using aluminum tanks for this might not be such a great idea.

True but I have a few old useless Al tanks and need an excuse to get a plasma cutter:). If they melt I could always recycle.

This is cool. What are you using for heat? Wiki tells me that charcoal burns hotter than steel melts.

I know a few people who built deep fryers out of 50L/13 gallon Aluminium beer kegs [not sure if deep fryer is a valid name in the States - one cooks chips, I mean fries, in them]. They cut the top off, mount it on a tripod and use a big gas ring to heat up the oil. I'm not sure what grade of AL is used in a beer keg but its a very thin walled, low pressure application. The oil temp is about 200C/400F. I've not heard of one melting or exploding yet. Though maybe the oil conducts the heat away from the metal well enough to stop the metal heating up too much. Pure speculation on my part.

The LA Co UW Instructors Association made and sold SCUBA Bar-B-ques for $40.00 at the LA SCUBA Show about 20 plus years ago.. They sold well as a novelity Item but as a Bar-B Que were a failures.

Best use for a salvage cylinder is to make a bell....just cut off bottom or top.

I recall there is a picture of me, Pat Smith (Ship wrecks of Southern California) and Cindy Shaw standing in front of a bell in my home some where in www.legendsofdiving.com . The bell was made by my wife about 15 years ago in a welding class she took for fun...no she is NOT a welder...far from it..

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom