DIY cheap backpack BCD from killed poodle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquacat8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Had an old poodle jacket in the closet, and I was going to toss it, but curious, I tore it apart, and I found a pretty cool plastic plate inside! I had to saw off the handle to shorten it, then threaded a rubber freediving belt through it, added some cotton arm straps (because of my Lotte Haas fantasy) and a couple of trim pockets from Deep Six (thanks!) and various accessories. I thought of using just that for a no BC diving harness, and still plan to try. But then I velcroed on an old wing and viola: lightweight travel BCD. Sigh I really need to get outta here and go diving...

Attachments

• D784713A-C713-47B4-B344-B35292BBCA01.jpeg
    D784713A-C713-47B4-B344-B35292BBCA01.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 446
  • D22A8144-C1A3-42E6-95BD-DC47319B2264.jpeg
    D22A8144-C1A3-42E6-95BD-DC47319B2264.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 437
They don't charge extra for the harness?

They do charge for the harness, if you select one.

Is the Piranha version hollow moulded or solid plastic / monoprene?
The backplate off of dead Scubapro poodles is good, solid plastic that's not too buoyant.

They do charge for the harness, if you select one.

Is the Piranha version hollow moulded or solid plastic / monoprene?
The backplate off of dead Scubapro poodles is good, solid plastic that's not too buoyant.

I tried adding the harness and it didn't change the total price, but I didn't get all the way to the end and didn't see where it said how much more for the harness.

Solid plastic sounds great--my old backpack is hallow and I drilled the drain holes bigger so it fills up with water quicker. Otherwise it throws off the buoyancy at the beginning of the dive due to trapped air plus it can give a false impression of a leak.

Back
Top Bottom