DIY cheap backpack BCD from killed poodle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I took the little backplate/ harness to the pool today and it did fine. I weighed just the harness plate and pockets and it was 3 lbs. The back has a kind of plastic single tank adapter thing. I was adding weight with clip on ankle weights on the waist and they slid around, but since I used a rubber freediving weight belt for that waist I might just thread on some weight close to the plate, and keep the little 4 lb pockets for fine tuning/ditchable weight. It doesn’t have the big solid feel and multiple D rings of my x-tek harness, but I loved how small it packed! I was in 7 mil, but for 3 mil just the little trim pockets would do :)

Especially if you're a poodle. (On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog.)

That's a good one! Mind if I steal it sometime?

IMG_0672.PNG

Somebody had to post it.

So, while on the subject of "poodle jackets," what is the origin of that term? I have seen it used a few times, and assumed it was just a disparaging term for a traditional jacket-style BC. What is a poodle jacket and why that name?

Somebody had to post it.

So, while on the subject of "poodle jackets," what is the origin of that term? I have seen it used a few times, and assumed it was just a disparaging term for a traditional jacket-style BC. What is a poodle jacket and why that name?
Because if you look at the typical classic cut of a poodle they have a big poof of fur around their torso, and a typical padded up poofy jacket BC mimics that look.
Kind of like why Mae West vests had a similar reference to a famous actress/glamour queen that was very well built in that area.

Because if you look at the typical classic cut of a poodle they have a big poof of fur around their torso, and a typical padded up poofy jacket BC mimics that look.

Ah. I'm not much of a dog person, but Googling "poodle cut" indeed turns up pics of what you describe. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom