DIY - Are there laws against it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... LDS who won't service my regulator...
It sounds like they don't have a reg tech there that they would consider "qualified" to work on your reg.
They are probably doing you a favor by not messing with it.
What kind is it anyway?

Not the money you are paying to the LDS for service. Nor is it about the liability issues that should be attached to a shop selling you parts.

It's about keeping the money out of the pockets of the "starving" trial lawyer who wants to line HIS pockets with the money he can extort from the LDS and manufacturers.

The problem isn't the dive shop or the manufacturers. The problem is folks who can lay a $10,000 to 100,000 "fine" of defense lawer fees on a company with NO responsibility if they loose or the case is baseless. If the US adopts a "looser pays" where the plaintiff (or the plantiffs lawyer if the case was taken on a contingency fee basis) is on the hook for minimum pre-defined defense lawer hourly costs if the trial court or jury finds the plaintiff's case without merit.

A simple solution would be to prohibit lawyers from ever again practicing law, or an any way recieving money directly or indirectly from a person or corporation that practices law, if they EVER served in a positon the writes laws or regulations having the force of law. Simple conflict of interest rules apply to everyone else, perhaps they should be applied to lawyers as well. If they want to write the rules for the game, they shouldn't play in the game any more.

Then specifically define what the manufacturer's liability is. This should be for a design _known_ to be defective at the time of the part's production, or the sale of a defective part. Customer stupidity and inattention to details is _not_ the responsibility of manufacturer/sales outlet.

The problem, and the potential solution, resides between Maryland and Virginia. Your Congresscritter should know you by your fist name until the issue is resolved, or he's unemployed.

FT

Bob3 once bubbled...
It sounds like they don't have a reg tech there that they would consider "qualified" to work on your reg.
They are probably doing you a favor by not messing with it.
What kind is it anyway?
It's a ProSub. The US distributor is history, so I have to deal with the German manufacturer. It;s working perfect now, but when service time comes I need a plan.

Rick Inman once bubbled...

It's a ProSub. The US distributor is history, so I have to deal with the German manufacturer. It;s working perfect now, but when service time comes I need a plan.

Perhaps the simple answer is to become a "trained" Prosub tech yourself. If you can fix a toaster or change a light bulb and have a 10th grade reading level you too can fix regs. Ping on them for the manuals and parts, letting them know you'll support the other (3?) prosub folks in your area. It should take an evening or two to read the manuals, and maybe $50 to get the tools specific to your reg.

As a side note the ONLY tech I want working on my gear is ME! I've had way too many regs fail on the first dive after comig back from "professional" service.

FT

FredT once bubbled...

Perhaps the simple answer is to become a "trained" Prosub tech yourself. If you can fix a toaster or change a light bulb and have a 10th grade reading level you too can fix regs. Ping on them for the manuals and parts, letting them know you'll support the other (3?) prosub folks in your area. It should take an evening or two to read the manuals, and maybe $50 to get the tools specific to your reg.

As a side note the ONLY tech I want working on my gear is ME! I've had way too many regs fail on the first dive after comig back from "professional" service.

FT

Yeah. That is what I'll do.
Thanks.

seahunter once bubbled...

There is no suggested retail price for parts because they are NOT to be sold retail.

If that be true then why do I pay $14 for first stage parts and $14 for second stage parts and another $25 for labor when I take my regs in for service. Plus no matter how many times I ask they never give me the old parts back. Dare I say it but how do I know any work was even done on it. I would love to see a LDS have a window where I could watch their tech work like in a car dealerships service department. Problem is'nt regulation of the industry, its that in order to have LDS they have to make a profit in order to stay in business. There have been many refrences to car parts stores in this thread and you cant compare. Most parts stores sell to dealerships and garages and move a lot of stock that way. Dive shops do not have the luxury of an entire populace that rely on dive products and services for daily transport so comparing the two is rediculous. I see both sides of the fence here and agree with both but see no solution to remedy it. If you can get the parts and have the know how, more power to ya, just support your Local Dive Shop or you may not have one to fall back on.

... no matter how many times I ask they never give me the old parts back.
The obvious reason a shop won't give you your old parts is because they're *probably* ripping you off.
Time to look for a new shop.
There is no suggested retail price for parts ...
Yep, there is. Repair shops don't give you the parts for their cost, they mark them up.

Scubatonedog

You have the auto parts issue wrong. Its not a matter of cost or profit. The LDS says it won't sell you parts at any price because they might be sued by your wife or parents if you mess up fixing your own regulator and die as a result. You or I can walk into the local Autozone, Pep Boys , etc, and buy any part whether you know jack about fixing cars or not. You could kill a lot more people if you screw up your car than if you screw up your regulator. Autozone doesn't seem too worried about liability. For this reason the liability issue is a crock.

Captain

Kinda like gun shops are not worried about selling ammo....duh...bullets can kill....I get it.

BTW I did change the LDS I get my regs serviced at...Their "tech" was way too obnoxious, especially when I asked if in the rebuild kit did it include a new mouth piece and he said yes. Amazingly my comfo-bite was still on my Genisis second. I demanded my mouthpiece or a refund based on a new replacement mouthpiece ($12.99 + tax, the kit was $14). They gave me the mouthpiece. I now only go there for air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom