DIY - Are there laws against it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebomb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
:confused:

Newbie here.....I bought some used equipment, most of it in good shape. Had the cylinder hydro tested and the reg serviced.

I do feel comfortable servicing some items myself. An example is a BC with a detached inflator hose. I have called around to LDS's and no one will sell me the part. They say that they don't sell the parts to the public.

So...is there a law against selling parts, or is it just a way to increase repair revenue? Is there a place on the web to get parts?

Thanks, Beck

:guitar:

The libility issue is a crock. Autozone doesn't mind selling parts to me or anyone else to repair brakes, windshield wipers or any other safety related parts on a car or truck and I could kill a lot of people if I screw up the job. The only person likely to die from repairing my own equiptment is me. It is all about money. The shops use libility as a excuse to fool diving public into believing its not them its the lawyers that won't let them sell parts.

Captain

Actually captain, it's a bit more involved than that.
An authorized dealer for a brand name line of scuba gear is prohibited by his dealer agreement from selling parts. Only factory trained and certified repair techs can install parts.
There is no suggested retail price for parts because they are NOT to be sold retail.

I sell all kinds of regulator and BC parts for old models that are no longer current. There's no reason not to although in the US one does have to be mindful that if there's an accident, the victim or his heirs may well look at the seller of the parts as a likely target for litigation.
Right or wrong (it's wrong!) that's life today.

Age old shouting match. DIY's yelling about greedy shops and calling BS on the liability issues. Shops yelling about risks of getting sued and thier dealerships yanked.

Truth is, gear repair isn't rocket science. Many parts, like BC inflators can be ordered from Trident and others. The best thing to do is just go out and dive. Develope relationships with, who else, other divers! Some of whom may be certified techs, or have friends who are certified techs. I've only been diving about three years. I have enough friends in the biz I could get almost any parts I wanted, if I really wanted to (or had the time to) work on my gear.

This thread is a great microcosm, already you got one or two folks offering to help you out!

John

Please explain to me if it isn't a money grab and there is a liability issue why the dive industry is the only one with such policies. There are many other industries you could apply this to. Formost being the automobile industry. They could say only factory trained mechanics at authorized dealers can work on your car and install parts because of the liability. Guess how long that would last before people screamed price fixing and the government jump in. Never heard of Autozone being sued because some shade tree machanic bought parts to fix his brakes and botched the job and got himself and a few others killed.

It wasn't always like it is now. I know I was there. I was a U S Divers and Voit Swimways dealer in the 60's and 70's and never signed any dealer agreement as to what I could or could not sell or for what price.

Only thing I can tell all you divers is to write your legislators and explain to them whats going on. If enough of you scream we might be heard.

Captain

I see liabilities and find myself saying... "Get over it, life has risks!"
Unfortunately as someone getting higher medical training than most civilians and other Law Enforcement, I also find yself looking down that barrel from the wrong end. If I save a life I am heralded as a hero, yet may still be sued for a broken figernail on the victim. (Actually, Florida as the good samaritan act which protects me but still..)

Also as a diver and hanyman and poor folk who gots ta do stuff myself cuz ah cain't afford high prices, I love doing my own repairs rather than paying twenty dollars an hour to get someone else to do the same thing I can do.

As for other regulated industries, the medical industry is famous for "leave it to trained technicians" mottos. So is Law Enforcment.
When our armorer had to be sent to Smith & Wesson's armoring class to be allowed by State Regulations to replace grips on a State weapon!? Ludicrous? HELL YES!

I wish this ere a simple issue. I agree that there are very simple user serviceable parts on our life support gear, unfortunately, I have also seen the other end of the liability issue. Wish we could return to simpler times before people sued over having HOT hot coffee.

Note* Do not use hairdryer while showering. Do not insert hot curling iron into body orifices... actual warning labels due to stupid lawsuits. Oh well, welcome to the land of opportunity.

;-0

Forcing repairs to be done only be certified tech actually increases liability for shops and manufactures.

Now instead of just being responsible for the part the tech is responsible for the work he (she) does and also for not noticing a defect if there is one. The certifing agency is on the hook if a tech makes a mistake because they must have not trained the tech properly. The shop is on the hook as the tech is an employee and agent for the shop.

Not only that but because the tech has touched the gear they may be held liable for problems that they did not cause simp0ly because they were the last one to handle the gear.

In short, the liablity issue is a crock.

The 'dealer agreement' issue in any other industry would be called illegal restraint of trade and found unenforceable by most any court.

Unless a large number of dive shops and/or a large number of divers get together to force change it will stay the way it is. No one individual has the power (read influnce and money) to get the issue through the courts.

The little guy gets screwed and the rich and big companies just make more money.

OK, then what about my LDS who won't service my regulator because the are not a dealer for the brand, and claim liability issues? What's the deal with THAT?? The German manufact. said that they WILL sell the LDS parts even if they're not a dealer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom