DIY - Are there laws against it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whether you agree or not, liability is an issue in the U.S. Some people mentioned writing to the goverment. I for one don't feel like we need to get the goverment involved in our sport. It is one of the few places they DON'T have their sticky fingers in. If you search and look around, you will probably find whay you are looking for. Divers in general tend to look after each other...........

It wasn’t really the shop as much as their part time "Tech". I know of others who similar experiences with the Tech who we will call Dick Cranius to protect his real identity (not that I ever really caught his name). His discrepancies ranged from improper installation and/or leaving out the diaphragm all together on a second, to improper installation and/or leaving out of an O-ring in the first stage. Guess what....if you have extra parts after a rebuild on a set of regs....ya did it wrong!

Besides he doesn’t work there anymore and I found a Tech I like and trust. Not to mention that my tech hooks me up at cost for parts and only the parts that need replacement.

As far as liability issues are concerned, you have to prove it to sue for it and win. Selling someone parts would not hold up. Working on someone’s reg would not hold up unless you can prove negligence....

Hmmmmmmmmmm...Leaving out an O-ring and diaphram, would that be negligence???

Yes it would, if I had been stupid enough to jump in the water with my air off. Then I would have been at fault.

I hooked it up right there in the shop to my tank that I just got filled. It was pretty evident with the air hissing out of my first that something was not quite right....

dutchfin once bubbled...
Divers in general tend to look after each other...........

So little of us Noble Few left in this world. Lucily diving has an abundance of Good, Noble people. I have yet to meet a diver that wouldn't give any backup or spare parts they had to save a dive.

Jambi

dutchfin once bubbled...
whether you agree or not, liability is an issue in the U.S. Some people mentioned writing to the goverment. I for one don't feel like we need to get the goverment involved in our sport.

However a general liability tort revision specifying what the boundaries are and increasing the reliance on the individual's personal responsibility will cover diving, and all the other areas currently being abused by a minority of the lawyers out there!

Similar legislation was passed when civil aviation almost died from lawsuit abuse, and is about to be passed to cover firearms manufacturers. A much more general bill is badly needed, but is killed by the trial lawyers association at every attempt. Seems it would kill their "golden goose." As far as I can tell that goose has kboth cancer and ebola and needs to be killed before it spreads to the rest of the economy!
FT

Wrong or right us Canadian's get a little tired of issues based around an litigious American society overflowing into our backyard.

Just because American's are sueing each other silly doesn't mean the rest of the world does. Nor does it mean the rest of the world should have to play by the same rules.

We Canucks would like our parts kits and service manuals thanks. :)

d33ps1x was courageous enough to say...
Wrong or right us Canadian's get a little tired of issues based around an litigious American society overflowing into our backyard.

Just because American's are sueing each other silly doesn't mean the rest of the world does. Nor does it mean the rest of the world should have to play by the same rules.

We Canucks would like our parts kits and service manuals thanks. :)

So would we on this side of the pond :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom