Diving without a C-Card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, this is great information- who needs to take a course to get a c-card if you can learn ALL you need to know from Scubaboard? I don't think anyone should get certified if the fact is that they are allowed to get fills from dive shops that will fill tanks for anyone. And yeah, lets take their word on it that they AREN'T going to be using the tank we fill for diving, but rather for paintball- uh huh, because us Americans are SO honest!! WOW! I think I would love to get back the 2 weeks of scuba training I took, along with all of the $ I spent to get it done, because I didn't really need that. I wish I knew about SB back then!!:icorolley

Maybe us American's aren't the bunch of jackasses you take us for... since anyone here can find a place to get airfills without a C-card and the huge majority of us were certified through a legitimate agency regardless. I got cert'd because I wanted to be educated on what I planned to do, not because I couldn't do it without the stupid plastic card.

Like I said, I was filling my SCUBA tank well before I got my cert :D I didn't do any diving before then, but there's nothing really stopping people from doing it other than common sense. I haven't heard of many people who haven't be certified dying, so common sense is living up to its name eh?

Glass half empty much?

Is there really and "common sense" wouldn't that be shared by ALL people. Obviously there are some that fall below the curve, thus disproving "common sense" alltogether.

Dragon2115:
Thank you for your cooperation citizen. By admitting your guilt you have saved the public thousands of police dollars investigating your case. Please wait in front of your home, a cruiser will be along shortly to pick you up and remove you to scuba jail where you will be forced to watch old Lloyd Bridges movies. Again, thank you for your cooperation. :spaninq:

:rofl:

If you make a certification into a liscense, it will inevitably have the effect of watering down the certification proccess. The need for a liscense creates a demand for a quick/cheap liscensing class, and the marketplace will create just that. The current "industry regulation" has, IMO, encouraged the quick, cheap class that one can read about everyday here on SB.

I don't pretend to have "The Answer", but I suspect that it will not be found in government regulation of SCUBA diving

garyfotodiver:
I may be stupid, but who are the Scuba Police? I don't have a "Deep Diver" card and I just returned from a 72 fsw wreck dive followed by a 62 FSW reef dive.
They are the same police that patrol for facetious statements.

scubafool:
If you make a certification into a liscense, it will inevitably have the effect of watering down the certification proccess. The need for a liscense creates a demand for a quick/cheap liscensing class, and the marketplace will create just that. The current "industry regulation" has, IMO, encouraged the quick, cheap class that one can read about everyday here on SB.

I don't pretend to have "The Answer", but I suspect that it will not be found in government regulation of SCUBA diving

It has already been created and is quite healthy.

howarde:
Is there really and "common sense" wouldn't that be shared by ALL people. Obviously there are some that fall below the curve, thus disproving "common sense" alltogether.

Obviously, the guys who fall below the curve, will screw up regardless. We see this because most, if not all, diving accidents happen to certified divers.

scubafool:

Well, if I remember correctly from when I was 16, to get a drivers license I needed to take a drivers ed course for 4 months, 2 days a week, on top of having a learners permit for a full year then having my "junior license" for another bit of time. So, if we followed the same standards that need to be followed to learn to drive a car (scary driving with a bad driver as well as diving with a bad diver!)- does that mean we would all still be able to dive properly? Nope- but also doesnt mean accidents will be prevented. But, the classes that you can get in the Keys or the Bahamas or PRIME diving destinations usually have a 2 day (and some a 1 day) SCUBA course. I read earlier in this post something about people uncertified taking a "resort" dive or whatever it was called- but those are required WITH an instructor with a short version of the academics for safety and what have you.

:crafty:

When I was 15, I was able to get a drivers permit. When I was 16, I got my liscense. Age was the only requirement. I took Driver's Ed through high school, which was usefull for an insurance deduction.

State laws differ... I got my liscense ~ 8 years ago, so this isn't exactly ancient process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom