Diving without a C-Card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn:
Obviously, the guys who fall below the curve, will screw up regardless. We see this because most, if not all, diving accidents happen to certified divers.

Aren't most divers certified? Maybe that should be a new scubaboard poll?

SuPrBuGmAn:
Yep, but not quite sure where you're going with that.

You said "most diving accidents happen to certified divers"... It was my impression that MOST DIVERS are certified... so wouldn't it follow that most accidents would have to happen to certified divers?

I was wondering "What is the percentage of divers who dive, who are NOT certified?"

Eh... Thats kinda my point, most accidents happen to certified divers, most divers are certified, true. That still leads a few who aren't certified, but I've never heard an incident of them getting hurt/dead... at all.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Eh... Thats kinda my point, most accidents happen to certified divers, most divers are certified, true. That still leads a few who aren't certified, but I've never heard an incident of them getting hurt/dead... at all.

Check out DAN's accident and injury report. Training level (or lack thereof) is listed there. The accident and fatality narratives frequently discuss uncertified divers. It's sobering reading...

GrierHPharmD:
Check out DAN's accident and injury report. Training level (or lack thereof) is listed there. The accident and fatality narratives frequently discuss uncertified divers. It's sobering reading...

Point taken. These accidents don't find their way into most public mags/forums I guess.

My point still stands, its easy enough to get a fill without a C-Card. People who aren't certified aren't going out and getting fills and dying everywhere, with the few exceptions found on DAN - common sense keeps em from knowing better.

Just FYI, but I did 10 dives in Mexico last week, 6 ocean dives and 4 cenote dives, and neither my wife or myself were ever asked to show our cards. The same thing happened last year as well. We're both certified, but nobody ever asked for proof, so the possibilities are high that non-certified people are diving there every day. BTW, this was with 3 different ops, so I would say it's pretty widespread.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom