Diving without a C-Card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Ok, this may sound a bit silly, but I have been working in the dive industry now for 3 1/2 years- and I have heard so many DIFFERENT things about diving without a C-card- so I was hoping that someone could fill me in on the LAWS of this- there have been people that told me that you could get fined, your boat impounded, and others have told me there is nothing illegal about diving WITHOUT a c-card. I know that we aren't permitted to fill tanks for people who do not have a c-card, but how does that stop them from diving? Living in Florida, I think EVERYONE knows at least a couple of people that are certified, so technically, the people that are uncertified could ask their "buddies" to pick them up a tank and they can go out and risk diving without certification.

Any REAL answers on this would be helpful, as I would like to be able to know the correct information when it is asked.

THANK!! :)

A C-Card is not a license. It isn't issued by a state agency, thus, no fine can be assessed to a diver who does not hold a C-Card. If the worse happened, and the person left behind family, there would be little that could be done to get the person's life insurance (if there is such) to pay. OTOH, if the person had a buddy who is certified and knowing the diver wasn't certified, agreed to dive with them, that person might not only have to answer to a civil complaint, but perhaps to criminal charges. Personally, I consider the practice to be borderline suicide. And as far as getting the tanks filled, I've never been asked to show my C-Card, even when I get nitrox fills at an unfamiliar LDS. This is ridiculous, and MUST change.

Just my .02 psi.

ScubaAngel831:
Ok, this may sound a bit silly, but I have been working in the dive industry now for 3 1/2 years- and I have heard so many DIFFERENT things about diving without a C-card- so I was hoping that someone could fill me in on the LAWS of this- there have been people that told me that you could get fined, your boat impounded, and others have told me there is nothing illegal about diving WITHOUT a c-card. I know that we aren't permitted to fill tanks for people who do not have a c-card, but how does that stop them from diving? Living in Florida, I think EVERYONE knows at least a couple of people that are certified, so technically, the people that are uncertified could ask their "buddies" to pick them up a tank and they can go out and risk diving without certification.

Any REAL answers on this would be helpful, as I would like to be able to know the correct information when it is asked.

THANK!! :)
There are no criminal laws prohibiting scuba diving without a c-card generally speaking.
There are no nation-wide laws regarding certification. There are some localities that have ordinances regarding diving in the local waters, but there are no scuba police wandering about seeking non-certified divers. In Deerfield not long ago I believe there were drownings involving non-certified divers. Civil liability dictates that a shop or boat owner be prudent though. The certified diver providing air fills for the non-certified diver who then drowns would be at risk in a civil matter. With that in mind there is nothing to prevent a non-certified diver from going out on a private boat, diving from shore, and so on and so forth. For liability purposes your shop requires proof of certification for air fills and maybe for purchase of certain equipment. Should someone ask if they can dive without training they certainly may, but can they dive safely would be the response I would suggest...

A couple of years ago, I booked a place on a dive boat through a LDS in Boca Raton. I showed them my c-card at that time.
By my own stupidity, I forgot to take the card with me to the boat. I wasn't allowed to dive. The captain called the dive shop to verify that I had presented a card. After confirmation, I could dive.

Kudos to Force-E Boca Raton and Capt. Tony Coulter!!

I would think that if a dive shop let ppl dive w/o a card, and they were a "PADI 5 Star" or something similar, that the rating/recommendation should be revoked. Even though you sign your life away before you dive, relieveing the dive shop of any liability of your own stupidity... It doesn't make SCUBA look good in general if non-certified divers are killing themselves because of ignorance.

My 2¢

awap:
I not clear on what part of this you think should change.

The part of LDS's not asking for certification to fill tanks, whether it be nitrox or otherwise.

I am not a attorney and this is not legal advice or a professional opinion on law.

I have never seen any laws what-so-ever on scuba certification. The only laws realting to scuba are the Flag law and on the taking of game fishes and molestation of certian marine critters.

The sharp side of that sword is what was previously posted. Civil action. If I let someone take my tank knowing that they where uncertified and something happened I could lose all I ever had and everything that I will ever get. This could be presented to the State Attorney to the point that you are trained and know the dangers. If the SA could show Wanton Disregard/ recklessness there certainly could be a case made for manslaughter if the person died. I do not see that as being something that would "stick" but I am not volunteering to be a test case for the state.

That is my 2 psi.

howarde:
I would think that if a dive shop let ppl dive w/o a card, and they were a "PADI 5 Star" or something similar, that the rating/recommendation should be revoked.
That rating just means the dive shop paid more for their membership than others. It has nothing to do with quality

Think about this..with a Discover Scuba Diving session anyone without a C-Card can dive, just get a quick and dirty lesson in a pool, then BAM out to the reef, I did it last year before I was certified.

I think that the basics need taught (don't hold your breath, this is how you signal out of air, if your reg falls out do this...etc.) for safety reason and then go for it, as long as you sign a waiver not holding the dive operator responsible, I think it's fine.

If you are held responsible for your own actions, knock yourself out, just make sure on the accident report it's noted that "the person wasn't certified" and there fore stays out of the official statistics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom