Diving With Multiple Computers (Suunto & Sherwood)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

killface

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Greetings all! I've been lurking for almost a year and am stumped on the eve of my first gear shopping spree.

I bought a Suunto D4i this summer and love it. I'm not quite ready to rely on wireless for pressure readings, I need a SPG and I want a 2nd computer as a backup (safety first or whatever), so I'm about to purchase an air-integrated hose mounted computer as part of a package that includes my regs.

Oh, and I need a compass and would like it on or near my console.

Based on prices at my LDS it's either going to be the Sherwood Vision 3 (with quick disconnect and compass) or the Suunto Cobra (the original, with quick disconnect and compass, not the 3). My cost is about the same on those two.

I'm having trouble justifying an extra $250 for the Cobra 3 and still feel it might be a toss-up on comparison to the Vision 3.

I'm leaning towards the Sherwood Vision 3 only because it seems like a steal at $500 and the Cobra (1) seems to be pretty dated. I kind of like the idea of a conservative computer and a liberal computer being part of my kit, but I'd rather hear from someone that's not me.

I'm concerned this may be a mistake as I plan to continue diving with my D4i. Does anyone have any thoughts about diving with different computers based on different algorithms?

Thanks very much for any help.

If you dive different computers with different algorithms, particularly if one is conservative and one liberal, you run the risk of locking out one your computers. Unless of course you just follow the most conservative. So if diving two diff computers to avoid locking out one of them the most conservative will need to be your primary. Between a Suunto and Sherwood this is likely to be the Suunto.

Segal's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Segal's law
is an adage that states:

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.

"It refers to the potential pitfalls of having too much conflicting information when making a decision.

I would get the Cobra 1 - it is not dated. Same algorithm as the D4i just different display as the Corba 3. I prefer the older graphics and think they are easier to read.

I dive two computers (Nitek Duo and Uwatec 2G) and have never locked myself out on either computer despite doing some pretty deep deco dives in the past. I generally follow the more conservative one anyway and usually double (or even triple) and indicated deco time.

Thanks very much for your replies, they have been incredibly helpful.

To throw you all for a loop... As I have a Suunto D4i already and am prepared to drop some cash on an air-integrated computer, what about saving myself a couple hundred bucks by just buying the Suunto transmitter? Less gear seems nice as I will be travelling with my kit for upcoming dives. I originally said I don't trust wireless technology, but I am just a rec diver (I do like penetrating wrecks).

I think I'd still want a mechanical SPG if I go this direction. I'll actually be buying one regardless if I go hose mounted (Cobra or Wisdom) or hoseless (D4i plus transmitter). Haven't decided if I'll dive with it, but I want it part of my save-a-dive day kit.

Alternatively, for an extra $100 (on-top of my cost for a Suunto transmitter) I could have a 2nd (hose-mounted) computer, like the Cobra (which I'm leaning towards) or the Wisdom 3.

What would you folks do?

My thoughts given I used a transmitter and it worked fine. In order of shopping:

Brass and glass spg clip it off to your BCD.

Suunto SK-7 compass with a DDS mount. put it on your wrist.

Back up computer, get a Zoop - attach it to you BCD shoulder harness.

Transmitter and mount it to your first stage via a short hose - tuck it between the cylinder and bcd wing.

I prefer wrist mounted computers and do not have AI, but that's just me.
Have you thought of getting a transmitter and a Zoop as backup?
They would both use the same algorithm and be lighter and easier to pack for travel.

scared silly beat me to the Zoop

I'd buy the SPG, wrist compass, and transmitter. The transmitters aren't bad if you aren't dependent on them.

For an OW dive, I don't think there's a lot of risk with a transmitter. If your transmitter fails, the computer should alert you. If that happens, end your dive. Check to be sure the suunto alerts you first; I know my Galileo does.

I got rid of that SPG hose a few months ago, and was debating about switching to an AIR2 or similar to get down to only two hoses on the first stage. Obviously if you got into something other than regular OW dives you might need to switch your kit up for safety.

I do have an spg that I can throw on the first if I'm doing a deep dive. I don't do any other dives yet that would necessitate a switch.

Personally I love my Cobra 3 integrated. Recently picked up a zoop as a secondary backup. I chose to keep within same so I maintained single algorithm approach. Zoop attached to BC D-ring and good cross check.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom