Diving with just a watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sailmike

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I thought I read a thread about this a while ago but couldn't find it, so I guess I'll start a new one.

When searching through the watch threads I noticed in about every one of them there were a few posts where someone would suggest just buying a computer instead of a watch.

So, I was wondering.. does anyone still dive using just a watch and tables (i.e. no computer)--is this still a normal practice or is it the minority now?

-Mike

It is a solid alternative. If you travel with kit you are always ready for a quick dive. This really hits home if you solo.

It is perference. All of my normal buddies dive with computers. One of them tries to back up our dives wih tables which sometimes work sometimes doesn't. I like to be able to download my dive profile after the dive (I just like numbers I guess).

I usually dive with a bottom timer (a timing device with a depth gauge). I keep my computer in a pocket to log the dive.
A watch and a depth gauge would serve the same purpose. Although the bottom timer does record basic information for the last 9(?) dives.
It's my belief that your brain and using tables is a very reliable time tested system. It is also a preferable way to go, for some, if you decide to get into more technical diving.

All of my students dive with a watch and tables. Eventually some of them purchase computers but being poor college students the watch and tables are the most affordable option.
Ber :lilbunny:

Many many divers use only a watch as a time piece. In fact a good many use nothing at all and for certain dives that's fine. Other than collecting dive trivia and getting back in time for dinner you use a timepiece to dive your plan. If you're making beach dives to 40 feet or less you're hard pressed to chanllenge you limit hence the watch has no real impact.

There are disciplines that dive strictly to plan and eschew the "on the fly" multilevel calculations of a dive computer.

A premium dive watch or bottom timer can cost as much or more than a perfectly adequate nitrox capable computer.

A dive computer can be very handy for making multilevel dives to significant depths when your air consumption is down low enough for you to tease your NDL.

The other situation is a dive intesive vacation where you will be making more than 2 dives per day. Here you will be hard pressed to get the most out of your time at the destinantion without doing a lot of table work and limiting yourself. If you just go out on the morning boat for the deep & reef dives and the DM is limiting the BT of the group then it's moot.

In almost every situation I'd put the computer well down the list on the accessory side of the gear pile.

Pete

I like to be able to download my dive profile after the dive (I just like numbers I guess).

I agree it's handy and fun. Getting all of the times, temps, max & average depths latter when downloading cuts down on errors and omissions. The average depth function alone is a huge plus if you want to track your RMV, SAC or whatever you want to call it.

I also like to relive the dive via the depth plot. We can usually associate a lot of the depths dips and platuaus with segments of the actual dive.

Pete

probably a big minority....but, I went with a computer in Oct of '06 for the 1st time: had to, diving with Aldora in Cozumel.....got home and ordered one & have used it since(makes diving very easy now...lol--leave the driving to Hertz).......

Aloha sailMike:
Look at what a computer is....it is a timing device connected to a depth gauge, in essence.
Also, it is a sensitive instrument subjected to extremes of heat, cold and pressure. It is battery powered, electrical and spends its functional time soaking in salt water. That computer will not last forever; it will die someday. When that occurs, and you happen to be on your lifetime-dream month-long round-the-world liveaboard cruise, wouldn't it be great if you knew and were comfy using tables?
Okay, having said all of that let me put in some caveats. I ALWAYS dive with a computer. I love them. I feel naked without. But (and that is one big but) I always have a watch on my wrist, and the tables in my dive bag.
Diving is generally safe and fun, but with deadly potential. I would count being underwater with no idea of how long you have been there as one of the situations leaning toward the deadly side of SCUBA.
For those of you who want to engage endlessly about the virtues and reliability of computers I think that is fine, but I will stand by my initial statement. "...it will die someday." There is not a computer in the universe that is going to last until the end of time.

Back
Top Bottom