Diving with just a watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You mean beyond the 2 I had fail (not due to o-ring either btw)? And the other ones I've seen go (as recent as 2 weeks ago).

Nope, absolutely none :D
Exactly, thats very little evidence to make such a wide claim on. How many times has it worked?

Exactly, thats very little evidence to make such a wide claim on. How many times has it worked?

I guess you're not good with tongue-in-cheek comments. :)

Let me remind you of what I consider the important bit:

Dive computers are not life support.

If you plan your dive, and dive your plan, a watch and depth guage are all that you need. A computer, as noted above, should not be used as a life-support device, rather it is a tool for diving convenience.

I think that you could be missing the point that for those
who use their computers to dive on the edge of their NDL's.

It's really not a matter a matter of how many times it works correctly.
But, much like a parachute, it's the one time it doesn't that gets you.

With that being said,I always dive with a computer.
But it isn't a requirement for me to dive safetly.

For me, I can multi-level dive just fine
with just a watch and depth gauge or BT.

For the better part, it's really about it's
ability to log profiles and track SAC's.

Brian

Get both.

I dive with a Cobra computer and am looking for a good dive watch, ie. one that I can really dive with and not worry about.

Then I'll couple the watch with a console spg and depth gauge.

I'll feel better knowing I have analog and computer redundancy.

The big safety feature for new divers that computers offer is the ascent rate indicator and alarm. This can be extremely helpful in training, especially on those first blue water dives where it's easy to lose track of your ascents.

Given the capacity of a single AL80 and adherance to recreational depths, sensible surface intervals, and intelligent profiles, most rec divers are more probably more likely to suffer injury from out of control and/or careless ascents than busting NDL limits.

Given the capacity of a single AL80 and adherance to recreational depths, sensible surface intervals, and intelligent profiles, most rec divers are more probably more likely to suffer injury from out of control and/or careless ascents than busting NDL limits.

I used to think that. But I can easily overstay the NDL on an 80 once I cross 90'. Mind you, it's cold water, so I do add the "10 feet for cold water". Edit: And still have RockBottom gas.

If it's OW, then I'd agree, it's hard to do 50 minutes at 60 feet on an 80 (at least for me, I don't exactly have hamster lungs :) )

bvmjethead: Redundancy is good, making sure you always engage your brain is better. Make sure you work out the different failure scenarios and how you'll react. For instance:
1) Computer dies on first dive, mid dive, at depth. What now?
2) Computer dies at end of first dive at surface (or on descent on dive 2). What now?
3) Computer dies mid 2nd dive, at depth. What now?
Repeat for multi-level dives after you get the square profile ones all planned.

Just my $0.02 :)

Bjorn

Wow, a lot of good replies.

I was looking to get an idea of how other divers viewed the watch vs. computer idea and I think I got that.

Being a "poorish" college student, my plan has been to go with the watch and tables--I've decided to get a decent watch, <$200, I could wear everyday and also use on dives. I've thought about computers and came to the conclusion a nitrox computer would be the one to get, but I also feel it would be best to wait and get the one I want rather than settling and buying another one later.

My thoughts on the watch vs. computer subject is that a watch and dive table pretty much a necessity, while a computer is a luxury. When I eventually buy a computer, I think I will back it up with a watch and get a general dive plan from the tables.

I hope you guys will continue your discussion.

Again, thanks for your opinions, and please continue.

- Mike

I have always dived with just a watch and a depht gauge. I have thought of buying a computer but I haven't found use for it. My watch cost 15€. I think I will buy a bottomtimer and leave the watch and the depht gauge as a backup.

Plan your dive, dive your plan!

PS. Sorry for my bad english

Lauri, your english is fine- Welcome to scubaboard! :D

Back
Top Bottom