Diving with a 15 litre tank.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

have u tried diving with 18L?
As allready menitoned above, 15L are widely used in Europe. I am diving with 15L from day one, and for some dives i use 18L steel tank.

18l i see as pointless. Just use twin 10s or better, twin 12s and have redundancy as well as gas.

18l allows you to run up substantial deco without any get out of jail redundancy.

The 8" 15L steels I've used are shorter than AL80s by a substantial amount. I personally don't like the way they feel, but it's a lot of air, which I like. The 18Ls I like (that's the 104/108 right?).

They are just a substiution for poor gas management.

How is that ?
I did a boat dive last weekend . The dive was to 95ft and the bottom time was 25mins I used up 70cuf on that dive. I only had 200 psi left in the al 80 at 10ft stop. That would mean that single al 80 is inapropriate for that dive, 12l hp or 15l is close but not ideal, 15 l hp would be perfect.

Of cause you can do good planning and stay 15 mins on al80 instead of 30 on 15l HP Just to satisfy the need for a smaller tank?

if by 15l HP you mean 300 bar, AFAIK they don't exist.

i also dive a single 15 liter, pretty much the norm here in Belgium (at least for men).
if i were to do wreaks in the north sea (witch is out of my qualifications anyway) i'd probably take double 10's.

if by 15l HP you mean 300 bar, AFAIK they don't exist.

i also dive a single 15 liter, pretty much the norm here in Belgium (at least for men).
if i were to do wreaks in the north sea (witch is out of my qualifications anyway) i'd probably take double 10's.

See thats why the North American system is easier :) if its 100cuf its 100cuf. ~15l HP here is 242 bar whis is roughly holds 130cuf

Actually, 15L/300 bar tanks are available from at least one shop... pitty the quality is reputed by those who know tanks to be such that you might fail the first viz inspection...

A 15L is much nicer in the water than a short 12L (Both 203mm/8" dia) in my experience. And both are nicer than AL80s, especially if you have to carry the sodding thing. A 12L 300bar is nicer but nothing beats a D12-232 or a D10-300 for use/weight.

And anyone who thinks that the 'expanded gas volume size rating' is better... glad that your fills are always the same pressure!

Gerbs - can have a tank with 190 or 225 bar from the same fill whip depending on how fast he fills.

15l steel tanks are very common here, I reckon a 15 and pony is pretty much the most common configuration you'll see on a British dive boat.

I have a 15l aluminium tank in the garage which somebody gave me, it's a bloody monster - taller and heavier than a 15l steel. I've only ever used it in the pool, it's positively buoyant even when it's full, I would hate to dive it in open water

15/232 steel is by far the most common single tank around here. The ladies seem to like 12/232 and 10/300 though. 15/300 is reportedly absolutely useless for anything but paintball. Too heavy and awful trim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom