Diving with a 15 litre tank.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frosty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For normal scuba it seems to be normal to dive with 11.5litre ally tanks or 12.0 Litre steels.
For boat diving I'm wondering why a diver wouldn't dive with a 15 litre tank.
Wouldn't that offer a lot of the advantages of a pony bottle?

In many places you can. The last place I did it was in the Red Sea. However, while it gave me longer bottom times while using Nitrox, my gf used a 12L and we had to take that into account in our gas planning. A pony provides redundancy, where just adding a larger tank does not.

For normal scuba it seems to be normal to dive with 11.5litre ally tanks or 12.0 Litre steels.
For boat diving I'm wondering why a diver wouldn't dive with a 15 litre tank.
Wouldn't that offer a lot of the advantages of a pony bottle?

It would offer more air but a pony bottle has a second set of regulators. Having more air isn't very helpful if (a) your gauge fails and you breath the tank down to zero, (b) have a free flow on the regulator, (c) have a failure on the system. Additionally, the 15 litre steels are typically longer than an 11.5 litre aluminium and a lot longer than a 12.0 litre steel. This might be a buoyancy/trim issue for a lot of people.

I like diving with a 15 litre steel cylinder. It gives me a longer bottom time and lets me take a little lead off my belt. If I am diving deeper than 25m I usually carry a side slung ali 30 or 40 as an independent bail out. The 15 litre steels are the same height as normal12litre (and ali 80s) they are of a wider diameter. I don't notice any real difference in trim

I like diving a 15 litre from a boat since i can just slip it on and fall in the water, always nice to have the extra gas. For shore diving i find it can be quite a chore at times particually if i have to do any climbing to get in and out.

for boat diving there are a lot of people using 15l tanks. i just got the experience that when you keep yourself in shape and do a bit of cardio-training you'll need less air (at least this is the case with me). don't know how that works with others but i try doing it this way since i make sure that i stay in shape ;-)

Thomas

15 L definitely gives you more gas but at at a cost of extra weight at the surface and a difference in balance and hydro-dynamics underwater. For given conditions I will dive with a 15 but generally they are for longer deeper dives.

Many DCs will put an extra $5 or so on to the price of a 15. They're also right bastards for the crew to load. Steels are even worse!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom