Diving watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not a watch collector and don't wear one diving, but I've admired that one since I first saw it advertised. My question is how easy or difficult is it to read that depth gauge? It's sure "interesting," as you put it--even ingenious.

It's pretty easy to read the guage. At deeper depths, it becomes harder to distinguish because the gauge fills up more slowly, so the various depth markers are more compressed. If you look at the picture I posted, you will see what I mean. The shallower the depths, the more space there is between each meter. The deeper you go, the meter marks get much closer together.

It won't replace my primary depth guage for scuba, but it's a fun complication.

The watch itself is well made, and I like the way it looks. Overall, it's a nice addition to my collection.

Capillary depth gauges were once quite common and inexpensive. Just a plastic tube with a small hole for water to enter. Most of them worked well enough. They do become, as noted, more difficult to read at depth because the numbers get closer and closer together. And they were inexpensive so us kids could afford them.

James

My dive watch selection

Attachments

• B07EBD20-A011-4E7C-AF2E-259E3A3909B2.jpeg
    B07EBD20-A011-4E7C-AF2E-259E3A3909B2.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 59
  • BE08F3A0-6AED-45F0-90C1-F26C8BF7C8E2.jpeg
    BE08F3A0-6AED-45F0-90C1-F26C8BF7C8E2.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 58
Sea Dweller and Deep Sea? Just more of the same as Submariner except, bigger, clunkier, heavier and more expensive. As I recall, the depth limit for NDL diving is still 130 feet. Who needs a watch certified for over 1000?
I agree...if you get to 1,000 feet, the last thing you are thinking is, "Is my watch going to be okay?"

We agree on one thing. Rolex or any other mechanical watch suck in accuracy compared to cheap quartz. I am a time freak. Always on time at the second. That’s why I have Tag Heuer and Breitling and no Rolex. Why can’t the Swiss make mechanical watches that you don’t have to set every morning (€@*$£)?
But on the other hand, buying a watch and not wearing it or being concerned I will scratch it (WTF? At x000 $?) does not make no sense to me. And I know that everyday use even diving will not damage your expensive watch beyond reasonable repair.
If you are a time freak and love mechanical time pieces???? Only one watch to get....Grand Seiko Spring Drive. The Swiss literally stopped having accuracy contests after this watch came out. Accurate right out of the box to a few seconds a MONTH!!!

Everybody's got a Rolex. If you want to blow many thousands on a divers' watch, why not the prototype for all modern dive watches?

View attachment 638564
The original Blancpain Fifty Fathoms from hautetime.com. There are many fancier versions available today.

More at A Brief History of The Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (and a ton of other pages and videos a Google search away).
Daaaang!!! A Blancpain 50 Fathoms???? That is the truth!!! But a new one of those today is the same price as a Rolex Sub.... but I prefer the look of the 50. And I own a Submariner!!!

I don't want to spoil any party BUT those watches are made in Honk Kong and they use low level Miota & Seiko movements. They are based in NY it seems but obviously outsource the whole thing.
You are basically paying the same money for using a lower grade movement just because the case looks nice...

My main issue with this kind of microbrands is Customer Service and Service in general (the 2nd shouldn't be an issue as parts for those movements are easy to find).

I would definitely opt for a Seiko or Citizen in the 500€ segment. Many good watches in that price segment and better made definitely.
No worries...for $149 for a legit dive watch? So what if they are made in HK. Deep blue also offers watches with ETA and Sviletta movements for sometime $350. Luxury dive watches (I own a few) are like many products. You are paying for the brand name. Sure the quality is there....but does my Rolex really keep better time than my Deep Blue? Not really.

And for customer service??? for $149 if this thing goes KABLEEEWIE I just buy another one. And your advice to buy a Seiko????? I did buy a Seiko guts watch.

I have about 200 dives on the Deep Blue and wear it most of the time above water. Flawless so far. I don't want to pay for advertising. Just as an example: Did you know that almost 1/3 o the price of a Budweiser beer is due to marketing and advertisement?

I wonder how much of a Roles watch is due to: Marketing and dealer mark up. I'll bet it is 75%

Sea Dweller and Deep Sea? Just more of the same as Submariner except, bigger, clunkier, heavier and more expensive. As I recall, the depth limit for NDL diving is still 130 feet. Who needs a watch certified for over 1000?
When reporters asked to CEO of the VW group, what was the motive behind design and production of Bugatti Veyron within context of “who needs a car goes 430km/h” CEO replied, “we just want to state that was achievable.”

I believe that’s similar mindset behind those watches and thankfully that’s what leads the innovation, pushing the limits.

I'm one of those silly watch collectors... mostly vtg Seiko.

However, I have an old school Citizen 'aqualand' which I favor for my SCUBA adventures because it has a digital panel that reads depth, and the computer inside logs dive time and depths. It's got rapid ascent alarms too, which is nice.

1663196421300.png

(ref pic farmed from the web)

As an alternative to a computer for my cobbled together set up, it works pretty good.

I'm one of those silly watch collectors... mostly vtg Seiko.

However, I have an old school Citizen 'aqualand' which I favor for my SCUBA adventures because it has a digital panel that reads depth, and the computer inside logs dive time and depths. It's got rapid ascent alarms too, which is nice.

View attachment 743714
(ref pic farmed from the web)

As an alternative to a computer for my cobbled together set up, it works pretty good.
I met someone on a recent trip who complained that they could not get their 10+ year old hyperaqualand serviced anymore (Citizen offered to sell them a new one). I guess that would be true for most dive computers too, but a bit disappointing, if I got the facts accurately (second hand is always risky).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom