Diving through new eyes...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ddraffin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My son got certified today. It wasn't easy. We all worked hard for it.

I was worried that he would have trouble with the study portion - he did, but worked through it.

The first Open Water dive it was 32 deg out and snowing. His wetsuit was wet from the pool dive the night before. As his class was getting their pre dive brief the snow was sticking to his shoulders and head. It was a miserable day to dive. I expected him to want to quit. Others did quit. He stuck with it.

His third Open Water dive he aborted. He couldn't clear his ears. I thought that would end it. On the way home he told me how hard it was, how unnatural, how uncomfortable, how cold. A2Z stuck with us and rescheduled his last two dives.

He came right back, another day, a little warmer (45 deg) and finished his final two dives. As soon as he got to the car he called his mother and grandmother to tell them. He described the fish and crabs he had seen.

As we left the dive site he talked excitedly about where we could go diving and the things we could do. He asked about Advanced Open Water. Two minutes later he fell silent and I glanced over to see my son fast asleep in the car.

I've only been diving a year, so it is still new to me. But to experience those first dives again through the eyes of my 16 year old son brought joy to my heart. Watching him take on challenges so foreign to him, and seeing him fight though them, has made me realize my little boy is now a man.

I had hoped that diving would help my son to grow and become more responsible. I hoped it would help him develop judgment. I had hoped that the challenge would give him a sense of accomplishment and pride. I got all this and more. I got a dive buddy.

When you get the chance, help introduce someone to diving - and take the opportunity to experience once again the newness and joy of it. And if you bump into my son Jordan, say hi and invite him to a dive.

And when you see the people from A2Z Scuba give them a smile and a nod. They may be making your next dive buddy.

May the water be warm, the currents soft, and your air sweet.
Enjoy!
Dave

I was wondering where the snow was till I read further, congrats to your young one, now its time for you to dive, dive, dive, only diving will improve your skills.

Happy Diving

Lovely, touching story. I wish you and your son many, happy dives together!

Back
Top Bottom