Diving the U 352, NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fireflock:
Every operator I'm familiar with highly discourages penetration on U-352 for a bunch of reasons. [snip]

(3) The inside is a mess of tangled metal with plenty of spots to get caught.

To add to the above, this isn't a wreck that was stripped of wiring or obstructions before it was sunk. All the overhead wiring, pipes, cables, shelves, mounts, etc or anything mounted to side walls as the boat is listing, is subject to falling or has already fallen which can block the way or cause entanglement.

Remember this all these mount points have been corroding for the past 60 years.

The 352 is a cool wreck. I had a chance to dive it last summer on a day when we had 100+ ft vis on the wreck. I would not go inside it myself, however. As others have said, it's small, with small openings, and full of things that will get you disoriented and hung up easily. Also, the majority of the wreck sits at 100 ft or below so, if you get inside and get in a jamb, you will not have a long time to get unstuck before your air runs out.

I got to dive the U-352 last November & while we had warm water temps (73%) vis was rather bad 20 ft, but still had a great dive. I ran into (literally) a Sandtiger Shark as soon as we hit the bottom. There were also a couple of Lionfish & a baby Morey hiding in the top of the conning tower.
I am kind of on the small side & I did not see anywhere I would attempt to penetrate, so unless you not only have the training, but also plenty of experience using that training do not attempt it. I would hate to read about someone not making it back from a great dive.
Other than that have a great & safe dive.

Thanks, I am not planning on penetrating this wreck just going to see it really. Let's hope the weather holds up!

Yea That's what I am seeing, 4-6 ft seas this wknd supposively. This wouldn't be the first time we will be washed out on the coast of NC, it's a part of diving tho!

Theres a book, i suggest you read in your interesting in wreck penetration.
The Last Dive by Bernie Chowdhury. I'll be moving to NC after I graduate.

Yea I have been asking around for some advice on good adventure scuba diving books. I got some feedback and that was one on the top of the list, so I'll definately check it out? What part of North Carolina do you want to move to? Oh by the way guys, I got washed out on the U boat for the weekend if anybody sees this, we are scheduled again for next weekend but we'll see

My family is originally from Morehead city (father side), I'll be living in Morehead, and working in Havelock.Im a mechanical engineering student at the University of Florida

Cory

ScubaLuuke:
Yea I have been asking around for some advice on good adventure scuba diving books.

Check out my book. Here is a thread in basic discussions about it...

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=172211

It is not high adventure by any stretch of the imagination. But it is set in Carteret County. You can see my storefront at the link below.

Back
Top Bottom