Diving the U 352, NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thread has evolved based on NJMike question. I really echo the no-penetration advice. You have to take your tank off and run a long hose through the hatch - very bad idea - or switch to a small pony, just to get into a very small, silt-filled space so you can say you did it. On the 352 you can even see the silt build-up through one of the open aft hatches. For those thinking of doing all three (352, 701, 85), the 352 is probably the best and easiest. The 701 is the iffiest (you do not necessarily know what you will see on a given dive because of shifting sands), and the 85 is the coldest (no 3mm there) and most extensively explored. All three give you a valuable perspective on Torpedo Alley, and you know you are touching history.

And the USS Tarpon is down there somewhere too, right? I'm hoping to do a trip down there next summer and try to hit all four.

I have no plans to penetrate any subs. Although I am taking the PADI wreck diver course in June, that's only for recreational type penetrations. But still good judgement should always come first.

The info on the USS Blenny off the MD coast says that "...two holes blasted into the sub to sink it makes for interesting penetrations..." I'm not sure what that means exactly, but I'm not too concerned about penetrating.

ScubaLuuke, as far as posting pictures, did you mean here on SB? I haven't done too much (read "anything") with posting pictures so I will have to check that out. I will be happy to post them if I can.

I can download them to a computer, no problem there. Can they be posted here? I'll have to spend some time looking at the gallery, maybe.

Colliam7:
Thread has evolved based on NJMike question. I really echo the no-penetration advice. You have to take your tank off and run a long hose through the hatch - very bad idea - or switch to a small pony, just to get into a very small, silt-filled space so you can say you did it. On the 352 you can even see the silt build-up through one of the open aft hatches.
Most divers, if they know what they are doing, can make it through the torpedo loading hatches. On the 352 this means the forward hatch as the aft hatch still has the at-sea supports blocking the way. I am 6'3" 250 lb and can get through in a dry suit with twin 100's. The key is to make sure that your chest is clean - no jacket BC's, not reels, or any other dangles. A small canister light is OK if you keep it tight.

Most divers can have a look (Head and one shoulder) through the forward battery access hatch (square hatch), the conning tower hatch, and after crews quarters hatch. But all of these hatches are tight, I could not get through with my tanks on.

The 352 is filled with sand and will not silt out very bad if you know what you are doing. The 85 and 853 (Block Island, RI) will silt out on you. I have been from the forward torpedo tubes all the way back to the engine controls (4 hatches back) on the 352. From the controls you can see the after torpedo loading hatch but the area between the engines has been sanded up and no one should go further then the controls.

The hatches on the 85 also have coral and other growth that can cut your suit up. The 701 is almost completly sanded in, so no penetration.

The Tarpon is only for the advanced wreck diver. The deck is at 140 and to penetrate the engine room you need to go down a 3' long hatch combing and will now be at 150 or so. You may very well need help getting out so someone has to be stationed at the hatch to help. The after torpedo hatch was blocked the last time I was on the wreck, but even if it is open, don't do it if you don't know what you are doing. The control room hatch is bigger and oval, and the forward torpedo hatch is also blocked.

Biggest thing to remember - DON'T DO IT IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Besides, subs are just sewer pipes with stuff in them. Have a look around for sharks and stuff on the outsides.

Gilldiver, very good info. This year I hope to dive on the Blenny, off MD in 70' of water. No penetration, but still a dream come true...

NJMike:
I am planning on taking pictures, but could never match the website for this U-boat. Here is the link:

http://www.msichicago.org/exhibit/U505/index.html
There are 3 U-boats that can be visted and walked through.

U-505 has been mentioned, this is a Type IX boat and is simular to the wrecks U-853 off of Block Island, RI, and U-869 (U-Who) off of NJ - this is the Shadow Divers U-boat.

In Northern Germany, there are two:

U-995 at the U-boat memorial at Laboe near Kiel. The U-995 is a Typr VII such as U-85 and U-352 off of NC.

U-2540 (U-Wilhelm Bauer) U-2540 is a Type XXI that was scuttled at the end of the war and raised in 1957, rebuilt and used as a test ship for many years. The wreck of U-2513 is in 200 feet off of Florida.

A list of museums etc. in the world can be found here: http://uboat.net/special/museums/

The U-505 website is awesome. I took the virtual tour...the interactive movie option is far better than pictures could ever convey. You can pan around each compartment, up and down, left and right.

Since this boat is the only U-boat in America, it most likely will be my only chance ever to actually walk in one.

Next Saturday I'm touring the USS Blenny, a WWII Balao class sub here in NJ.

Okay, saw U-505 today. The walkthrough was a tour, only lasted 15 minutes, and they did not allow any picture taking. What's up with that?

I got lots of external pictures, and some of them are interesting. I will try to post them here when I get back home, probably over the weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom