Diving the U 352, NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaLuuke

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am diving the German U 352 next weekend, February 10-11th, and I am wondering what temp of water I should expect on the bottom, about 100-120 ft. Also any safety precautions given for this wreck would also be appreciated?

ScubaLuuke, can you do me a favor? I have not dove the U-352 yet but plan to during 2008, after a little more diving experience.

But I'd like information about the sub....and since you'll be there....

I'd like info about whether or not you can penetrate the sub, what entries into the sub are available, if you go inside - what are the conditions, vis, entanglements, etc.

Also, if you here from anyone down there about who might have some good info, that would be good, too.

Please post a dive report...I'm very interested. Please include your equipment and dive profile also!

Mike,

My impression of WW2 subs was all based on movies until I saw the 352 myself. In the movies, the guys are all walking around standing up straight and drinking coffee.

I was amazed at how little it is. I wouldn't even think of penetrating it. I know some have, but not at my skill level.

NJMike:
I'd like info about whether or not you can penetrate the sub, what entries into the sub are available, if you go inside - what are the conditions, vis, entanglements, etc.

!

NJMike,

have you ever been in a sub before? Especially one from the WW-II era?
very tight spaces and very small hatches getting in/out. You'll hit your head easily
just walking around and that's without the restricted vision from wearing a mask.

I just wanted to caution you before you tried this.

Getting through that hatch with dive gear on, tank, BC, etc, you'll find it very
tight and is somewhat dangerous. It's not like swimming into a cargo hold that is
wide open or a bridge of a ship that is all windows. Any minor movement in such a
tight space will unsettle silt around you.

Also, the U-352 is considered a War Grave. German sailors lost their lives on that sub
and some are still entombed there. Germany actually has laws against anyone disturbing
any German war vessel that still has sailors in it (regardless of it's resting place).

While these guys might have not been on our side during the war, their resting place still
deserves our repect not to be disturbed.

On the lighter side, if you want a really great pic of this sub, check out
http://www.chris3d.com/prints/

u-352_print.jpg

ScubaLuuke,

One safety precaution to watch for is monofilament line. (fishing line). Fishermen
fish the wreck and broken off lines can cause an entanglement problem. Have a line
cutter and you'll be fine with this.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. I'd be happy just to shine a light in the holes, for now. But I'm not even planning on diving NC this year...at least at those depths. That will be a good goal for next year.

Right now I'm at 6 dives, hoping to hit 50 by the end of the year.

I'd like to do a dive trip down there next year...hit all 3 u-boats. I think the USS Tarpon is also down there somewhere?

I'm planning on taking the PADI wreck diver course this year, maybe June. But even with that, I don't have any plans on doing any penetration diving, especially in a sub, and especially deep.

Just too much, too soon.

But I'd still like to dive on them!

Yea I will keep you posted about my dive on the U boat, no problem. Right now I am just hoping for good weather and that we don't get washed off for the weekend. I am diving with Olympus this weekend, they are real good if you are planning a trip to NC, we usually dive with them as well. www.olympusdiving.com. Not sure if I will penetrate it or not, really just loking to get wet and check it out

Every operator I'm familiar with highly discourages penetration on U-352 for a bunch of reasons. I've neven been inside the sub, but here are some of the things I've been told:

(1) The hatches are very small - hard to get in and out
(2) The inside is filled with silt - not 100%, but quite a bit
(3) The inside is a mess of tangled metal with plenty of spots to get caught.

Anyone who is serious about wanting to penetrate the wreck is probably best served to make prior arangements with a dive operator. I know people can and will go inside the sub, but it's not a common activity on a typical NC dive charter.

As for the OP, my guess would be maybe low 60's. Temps are not always easy to predict as different water can blow in from one day to the next. If you have some experience on other NC wrecks at that depth than you should be prepared. As you can see from the picture it's relatively small and easy to navigate. Stay on the wreck site, use the anchor line for ascent/decent, watch your gas and NDL's - nothing all that different than you've experienced on other trips in the region.

I like to read the account of the sinking on the trip out. The dive boat will probably have a copy of Farb's book on board which will give some of the history surrounding the sinking.

Hope that helps-
Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom