Diving report: Wells Burt wreck, Lake Michigan, off Evanston, IL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never dove Lake Michigan when I lived in Illinois back in the 60s and again briefly in the early 80s. I'm curious about the Wells Burt. How close is this wreck to the Grosse Point lighthouse? I lived in that complex while doing a consulting job back in 1981-82.

I never dove Lake Michigan when I lived in Illinois back in the 60s and again briefly in the early 80s. I'm curious about the Wells Burt. How close is this wreck to the Grosse Point lighthouse? I lived in that complex while doing a consulting job back in 1981-82.

Don’t know. Wreck is 3 miles off Evanston. Discovered in late 80s.

So, don't take this the wrong way, I don't know how to word it so it doesn't sound negative.

Where it's all the aquatic life? Is that typical in great lakes diving?

It's relatively close, about 3 miles ESE from the lighthouse. There's some basic info on the Underwater Archaeolgy Society of Chicago website with a drawing of the wreck.

Wells Burt | Local Wrecks

So, don't take this the wrong way, I don't know how to word it so it doesn't sound negative.

Where it's all the aquatic life? Is that typical in great lakes diving?

There are plenty of zebra mussels and small gobies on the wreck. Not much else. Fine with me. I’m there for the wreck, not the fishies.

That's fine, was just wondering if it was typical of the diving up there. Or if that particular wreck due to its location or something was more or less inhabited than usual.

That's fine, was just wondering if it was typical of the diving up there. Or if that particular wreck due to its location or something was more or less inhabited than usual.
It varies. Normally there are small Gobies resting on the bottom. Occassionally you will see a school of fish around it. I forget the type of fish, they are pretty small and silvery, maybe once every year or two I'll see them in a school of a few thousand swarming around different wrecks. It's pretty cool when you do see it.

really enjoyed reading your dive report and history on the wrecks...the photos were great ...the one photo looked like a face of some sort...is that what you call a dead-eye?

really enjoyed reading your dive report and history on the wrecks...the photos were great ...the one photo looked like a face of some sort...is that what you call a dead-eye?

Thanks! Yes, the face is the deadeye.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom