Diving on Oahu.... yeah, it's OK I guess.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gabe,

Thanks for sharing the videos. I just got done showing them to a few colleagues. We are prepping for wreck season up here in Michigan. Those videos brought me back to some great diving that I was able to share with you this last october.

Thanks,

Jamie

Gabe - Thanks for sharing the vid - some nice footage, but I'd have to agree with KrisB in that the color,life and clarity are 'ho hum' for most of the Maui dives I did (not a disparagement on the footage, just an observation of what I find Oahu offers). I guess I'm kinda dismayed at the lack of life and living reef off Oahu's shores at this stage. Sharks cove and the Haleiwa trench are 'ok' but I'd much rather go to Airport beach or Ulua on Maui. (though as Kris intoned, the backwall of Molokini is rather over-hyped)

On the other hand, the structure I've found off Oahu is much more interesting than what I saw on Maui and one of my favorite sites off Oahu is the Makaha caverns. Plus Oahu has wrecks that are far more interesting than anything I saw off Maui.

I really need to do some more dives here, and check out the east end of the island to see what Oahu diving is really like I guess ... not trying to be a wet blanket, though that's probably what I am in this case...

Aloha, Tim

It wasn't my intention to start an interisland brawl on dive site superiority..... just thought the J man had some really good vids.

I think if we took a look at the reasons why our reefs aren't in the greatest shape it all boils down to population and human impact. Obviously, Oahu has far more people than Maui or the Big Island for that matter.

I think it starts with education on all levels. From boaters, to proper disposal of terrestrial waste to good buoyancy being taught and finally commercial fish collecting in sustainable ways. We have all seen reef damage or degradation because of the aforementioned activities and should (as divers) work to minimize our impact so as to preserve what we have left.

Finally, I would like to see DLNR play more of an active role in establishing and maintaining permanent mooring fixtures at the most visited dive sites. The practice as it stands now is pretty shameful. At least we aren't dropping anchor as they did in the past, but anyone who has dived the townside shallow reefs can tell you a chain=pain.

Just my two cents....

G

Great channel, thanks for sharing! I love Oahu diving, and will be heading back out here in April for some long-anticipated warm water diving :) Hopefully I'll get to explore some shore diving too, but I can't wait to get back to the wrecks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom