Trip Report Bali Dive Resort in Tulamben, Bali, Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well as you know, the areas are only a 15-20 minute drive apart so both areas can be easily dived no matter where you stay. I think it really depends on what you want from your dives and if you're single mindedly focused on diving (taking and editing photos/videos) or if you want a few more over-water activities and some good restos and maybe a little nightlife with your diving holiday. If solely focused on diving (and particularly macro) then Tulamben may be best. There isn't much to do in Tulamben other than dive, relax, and edit photos. There are only a few places to eat and nothing to do after dark.

If you want a mix of macro, shore, a wreck or two, some drift, fringing reefs, then maybe Amed is better. Tulamben has these too but maybe Amed a little more if them. Also, if you like turtles, they are much more common (Green and Hawksbill) in Amed. Amed also has other things to do besides diving like a couple gyms, yoga studios, massage and spas, a nice beach club (more like cliff club but spectacular views), deep sea fishing, and a plethora of restos and cafes to enjoy during a stay. There is also live music most nites at one or two resto bars in town. There are also real supermarkets in Amed for shopping. If you want all these things, and still want Tulamben's macro it's easy to stay in Amed and dive Tulamben. Also, a lot more variety in accomodations in Amed in price and amenities. As a months long guest, I prefer the amenities of Amed. On a shorter holiday, these things may not matter as much.

One thing also is the views of Mt Agung from Amed are magical and watching the sunset from Amed's black sand beach while enjoying a beer and tacos is a very special experience.

I share Jonnie's views.
I stayed at Amed Sep of 2023.
I didn't go clubbing or to bars, but enjoyed ordering from many restaurants in Amed.
Views of the mount were great every everyday.
I suggest staying in the west side of Amed, to be closer to Tulamben for dives in that area.
I stayed at Prana dive. Cozy cottage style accommodation. Owned by our very own @RainPilot.

Agree, it one wants to split their diving between Amed and Tulamben, I wouldn't stay past Jemeluk Bay...Bunaten and Lipah are a ways down the road. Anywhere between Jemeluk Bay and Jalan Malasti is prime.

Agree, it one wants to split their diving between Amed and Tulamben, I wouldn't stay past Jemeluk Bay...Bunaten and Lipah are a ways down the road. Anywhere between Jemeluk Bay and Jalan Malasti is prime.
I share Jonnie's views.
I stayed at Amed Sep of 2023.
I didn't go clubbing or to bars, but enjoyed ordering from many restaurants in Amed.
Views of the mount were great every everyday.
I suggest staying in the west side of Amed, to be closer to Tulamben for dives in that area.
I stayed at Prana dive. Cozy cottage style accommodation. Owned by our very own @RainPilot.
I like your suggestions, including an idea of ordering food.

We are going way off topic I know, but I am learning a lot about this place.

Anyway, I tried changing my accommodation from Tulamben to Amed and I would lose too much money to change, I booked this last year for a very good price, I would lose enough that could pay for most of my dives plus lunch.
Next time, it is only 15-20 min down the road [depends on traffic]. 🙏

We are going way off topic I know, but I am learning a lot about this place.

Anyway, I tried changing my accommodation from Tulamben to Amed and I would lose too much money to change, I booked this last year for a very good price, I would lose enough that could pay for most of my dives plus lunch.
Next time, it is only 15-20 min down the road [depends on traffic]. 🙏
Wow sorry about that...oh well if you come back you can try Amed. A few food reccos (you can see I'm obsessed): the resto at Utama Villas 2, resto at Noble Resort (Japanese & Western), and Slice & Brew (also coffee and best desserts in town). The waterfront views at Matahari and Mimpi restos are nice but the food only so-so. Also, there is a Massimo gelato ice cream stand at Tulamben Scuba 🍨 🍨 🍨

Any resort can order in massage at about IDR 150k an hour. If you need some toiletries or snacks, there are two mini marts in town, Indomaret and Solunamart. As of a couple months ago, there was still no ATM...the nearest being at Indomaret and Solunamart in Amed.

there was still no ATM...the nearest being at Indomaret and Solunamart in Amed.
I never used a ATM in Bali, cash and cash card only.
A few food reccos (you can see I'm obsessed): the resto at Utama Villas 2, resto at Noble Resort (Japanese & Western), and Slice & Brew (also coffee and best desserts in town). The waterfront views at Matahari and Mimpi restos are
but the food only so-so.
Food, now your talking, doing a google map search for the above 'reccos' from where I will be staying [and it is one of the so-so ]. :giggle:
And the above are 6 min, 3min and 2 min walk away. Fantastic.
Thanks.

I never used a ATM in Bali, cash and cash card only.

Food, now your talking, doing a google map search for the above 'reccos' from where I will be staying [and it is one of the so-so ]. :giggle:
And the above are 6 min, 3min and 2 min walk away. Fantastic.
Thanks.
I figured it was one of them...because they're being tight-assed with your deposit! I doubt you would have had the same problem with most of the smaller operators in town. If your stay isn't diving inclusive, show them what you think and do your diving with a small locally owned shop. I can recommend Wonder Dive or Scuba Tulamben ☺️

Well divers live off their stomachs, right! As for food...don't expect too much but these are the best of the bunch IMO; and they're clean as almost all the clientele are Western/Asians (non-local) and I've never had a case of "Bali Belly" while eating in them.

Wonder Dive or Scuba Tulamben
OK.
If your stay isn't diving inclusive,
It is not, not booked any dives yet , I am still looking at dive packages of around 12 to 14 dives in 9 days , that will do for this old guy.
A 10% discount only was offered where I am staying , I did a lot better with a shop a lot further South , and they were fantastic, just too far away this trip.

My wife and I spent 11 nights at Bali Dive Resort and Spa in Tulamben in October 2023. I booked this trip through BlueWater Travel, which always provides excellent service.

The resort offers great value. It's spacious and well-managed, with large and comfortable rooms. The dive operation is top-notch! Everything is well-organized, and everyone is friendly and helpful.

During our stay, I did 21 dives in Tulamben and two in Amed. All dives were either from a rocky shore or a jukung (Balinese boat). Tulamben is mainly for macro and muck photography, but there are a number of 'wide angle' sites with nice corals.

The following video will show you what you can expect to see underwater in Tulamben and Amed. If you liked this video, please don't forget to give it a LIKE and show us your support. And, if you want to stay up to date with all of our latest adventures, hit the SUBSCRIBE button on the Diver's Lens YouTube channel.
WOW, great video!

As of a couple months ago, there was still no ATM...the nearest being at Indomaret and Solunamart in Amed.
There is an ATM in the Indomaret, works too. Has been there for at least a year. I was there for 2.5 weeks this month.

To be honest, best and cheapest way is to book direct with a resort, no need to go through a travel agent. The resort will arrange a driver to collect you from the airport or hotel in Denpasar and return after diving has finished. I have done four trips there and we always have just booked direct. Never needed to pay a deposit either.

Back
Top Bottom