Diving north of SF?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dpbishop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have to go to a wedding in Sonoma May 20th. Are there any good dives spots near there? Wouldn't mind bring home an ab or two if possible, it's been years since I've had any in San Diego.

You won't see it now because a mod went through and did some "spring cleaning" and removed all of the recent threads talking about the North Coast. If you find the other subforum for this subforum you will find most of the recent threads there. Also check out www.northcoastdiver.org. We have a new active club and i'm sure someone will be there that date and those guys know all about stillwater cove, i haven't dove there personally.

There are several good sites including Gerstle and stillwater. I might be around then, but am not sure. I will let you know as the time gets closer.

The duck pond in the middle of the Sonoma plaza is under construction and they have drained all the water out, so the diving really sucks. We have been getting lots of rain so maybe it will fill up again. The city plans on spending $670,000 rebuilding the pond for the ducks, and it still will not be deeper than about 4 feet. You will have more fun out at Stillwater cove about an hour and a half drive.

JustinW:
You won't see it now because a mod went through and did some "spring cleaning" and removed all of the recent threads talking about the North Coast. If you find the other subforum for this subforum you will find most of the recent threads there. Also check out www.northcoastdiver.org. We have a new active club and i'm sure someone will be there that date and those guys know all about stillwater cove, i haven't dove there personally.
I didn't "remove" any threads in my "spring cleaning". I simply moved some threads into the Trips and Local Marketplace... NorCal subforum.

I don't imagine that dpbishop will have any trouble finding that subforum, since he's probably used to looking in that forum in SoCal.

That said, I echo the sentiments about checking out northcoastdiver.org. In talking with ZKY, it sounds like that is going to be the hot ticket for diving north of SF. I look forward to joining you all when I get a chance to come up there.

Christian

dpbishop:
I have to go to a wedding in Sonoma May 20th. Are there any good dives spots near there? Wouldn't mind bring home an ab or two if possible, it's been years since I've had any in San Diego.
There are many great spots all up and down the coast in Sonoma County.
I will pencil in that weekend as a tentative dive weekend. Let us know your plans the closer it gets and we'll get somebody out there with you or it could be a full blown group dive.
Make sure you have a license and ab punch card with you in a little dry box so you can punch the card as soon as you get out of the water. I use an otter box and keep a little wash cloth towel in there along with a pen so I can take care of the formalities as soon as I get out of the water. F & G is really anal about the technicalities of filling out the card including if you take too long when you get out of the water. They will look for any reason to cite you. The reason I like to have the card with me is I don't always get out the same place I got in so then I don't have to backtrack if I have my license and punch card with me.
Other equipment you'll need would be an ab float, 7" measure, official ab pry bar, and your freediving stuff. If you also want to do a scuba dive let me know and I'll set you up with weights, and a tank. If you want to use one of my demo rigs I'll have that available too. You'll need your own reg and the rest of the stuff. My rigs are not set up for air II's so if you use one then I guess you would need your own bc.

Let us know, we're here to help you get to dive.

ZKY

there are some pretty good spots on the sonoma coast. I.E. ft ross. stillwater cove, gerstle cove,ocean cove just get ahold of a noaa marine navigational chart and star picking out some spots. the biggest problem is access to the water. ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom