Diving light recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerpaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I'm now in the process of getting misc diving gear, just bought a DSMB and now I'm turning my attention over to lights. I plan on doing Caverns and Night certifications next year and wanted to start my research earlier. I'm looking for a light that's at least 2000 lum. So far I've discovered that:

Orcatorch, Kraken and Halcyon
have the most recommendations but I would like to get opinions first. Thanks in advance.

OH, excellent customer service and quality are other qualities I'm looking for as well. I don't have money to burn but I have no problems spending money on a good product that will last.

All of the above. Just add money, lots in the case of Halcyon.

Also Light Monkey, Ammonite, Anchor, etc., etc.

Just avoid cheap Chinese crap. It breaks, is unreliable, melts, poor quality…

All of the above. Just add money, lots in the case of Halcyon.

Also Light Monkey, Ammonite, Anchor, etc., etc.

Just avoid cheap Chinese crap. It breaks, is unreliable, melts, poor quality…
Thanks, I just amended my original post. But yes quality and good customer service is what I'm looking for.

Decent dive torches are a significant investment. The good news is buying one once.

An umbilical means you’ll probably not loose it when you drop it, possibly in a high stress situation. The also have a much longer burn time.

Other considerations include beam width. 6 degrees for signalling and poor vis, wider is better within an overhead, really wide for video and good vis dark conditions. Some have zoom, most would have multiple beams.

Backup torches.

I like to use a screw-tight-to-turn-on type torch with normal alkaline batteries. The Ammonite LED1 and LED2 are excellent lasting for years tucked away on my harnesses. Rechargeable batteries tend to self-discharge.

+1 for Halcyon Flare/Focus. They’re very expensive, but will last forever and they hold onto their resale pretty well. I’ve got both and am very glad that I spent the money. If you go with a corded light, I’d recommend getting an EO cord so that you can also use things like a heated vest in the future or have the ability to swap batteries underwater.

Archon has a light or two that meet most of your requirements. However, due to customer service in regards to my latest purchase from them, I do not recommend them.

DW

2000 lumens is a LOT for Night and Cavern. I would recommend a 1000 lm rated light using an 18650 rechargeable battery. You'll need 2 lights after all.

ETA: this light from DGX is often mentioned in similar situations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom