Diving light recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had a look at the Amazon site. Not much info.

The problem I have is I've had many torches in the past which were useless and failed within a few dives.

Once I started buying quality torches, this stopped happening and I've still got those torches after hundreds of dives.

With diving, we rely upon the reputation of various manufacturers. Take, for example, Halcyon. They have a great reputation for being very expensive, reliable, with good customer service. The two contrary postings above is unusual.

The price for the Orca Torch puts it in a similar marketplace as many well known dive torches which have a good reputation.

I would want to know that should one buy one of your £550/$700 cave lights that it would last many years AND there would be some customer service to replace the cable WHEN it breaks. Or that the cable is user-replaceable AND easily available. I also need to have a lot more information about the torch than the very brief summary on Amazon.

My wife and I both use the same Orcatorch D550 as both our night dive lights and daytime critter spotting lights. Super bright, well made, good battery life, comes with extra O-rings and a charger. I'd recommend 1) getting an additional battery so you can charge one on land while using the other, and 2) fashion a boltsnap on the light to attach to your BC. I secure my clip to a D-ring then slip the head of the flashlight under a rubber o-ring on my right chest strap (keeps it easily accessible and not flopping around).

I like my orca torch, but they're very prone to corrosion/faulty connection between the head and the body. Suggestion: sos pad cures it. Just did that with mine last night

I like my orca torch, but they're very prone to corrosion/faulty connection between the head and the body. Suggestion: sos pad cures it. Just did that with mine last night

I haven’t had that problem, how long have you had yours? Do you leave your battery in for long periods of time?

I haven’t had that problem, how long have you had yours? Do you leave your battery in for long periods of time?

Don't get me to lying, but I think this is our 2nd year with them? One of them I don't keep the battery in, the other 1 I do in case we have a power failure or need to walk out to my boat dock after dark….

However, now that we have a 24kw Generac, the lights come back on 30 seconds after they go out 🤣

+1 for Halcyon Flare/Focus. They’re very expensive, but will last forever and they hold onto their resale pretty well. I’ve got both and am very glad that I spent the money. If you go with a corded light, I’d recommend getting an EO cord so that you can also use things like a heated vest in the future or have the ability to swap batteries underwater.
Love the newer Flare EXP.
I do not love it on the few occasions that I have managed to drop it.
Awesome light though, unless you're clumsy AF like me.

I have a Halcyon focus for a canister light and use a Kraken 5000RGBU+ for my non-canister primary. Both are overkill in damn near any scenario, but both can be tuned down for longer battery life. I love my Kraken light. Seriously considering selling it just to upgrade to the new 6k model just for the quality of life improvements.
I did my night dive instructor class in the Bahamas last year using the Kraken light. We did a black out drill, then I turned the UV light on and it lit up enough for the whole team to follow and see everything....probably gave everything out there cancer.

Canister light is the choice. With goodman handle you have your hands "free". With a bit of practice, you get easily into a routine switching from standard position "Goodman" on the left to the right and back. Cant loose it as it is connected via umbellical cord. Nanight cave (or C3 now) is a good choice for low budget. Shark Artemis a bit more but great, too. Ammonite yet more expensive, but integrateble with heating systems for cold water diving.

Back
Top Bottom