Diving knife - Weapon or not??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evilbacon

Registered
Reaction score
:D I have talked to alot of divers that tell me that a "dive knife" is not a weapon. But from what i know about knives (which is alot) is that they were designed souly to kill. Yes of course they can be used as other tools, but their main purpose is to protect ones self.Yes, there are knives but that have blunt tips, but do those really count as real knives? To me there are more like just blades without a point or a prying device with a sharp edge on it. what are your opinions on the knives divers carry? Are they a weapon to make you feel safer in the new environment your in? or are they a multi tool used for whatever your heart desires?

Evil

the knife is basically there to get you untangled should you become entangled
in something that needs cutting

it should be sharp, small, unobtrusive, and easy to reach

They are used to cut through things like monofilament fishing line, wire, netting, and other crap that people litter the ocean with. A lot of divers carry shears instead of a knife. ANYTHING can be used as a weapon. For instance, I know how to roll up a sheaf of newspaper tight enough to impale someone with. A dive knife, to my mind, is first and foremost, a tool and part of a diver's survival gear. It's not for self-defense, killing stuff, nor is it in any way, a weapon.

evilbacon:
:D I have talked to alot of divers that tell me that a "dive knife" is not a weapon. But from what i know about knives (which is alot) is that they were designed souly to kill. Yes of course they can be used as other tools, but their main purpose is to protect ones self.Yes, there are knives but that have blunt tips, but do those really count as real knives? To me there are more like just blades without a point or a prying device with a sharp edge on it. what are your opinions on the knives divers carry? Are they a weapon to make you feel safer in the new environment your in? or are they a multi tool used for whatever your heart desires?

Evil

Actually if you want to get technical, knives started out just as cutting/scraping tools (sorry, my degree is in anthro, couldn't resist), and except for combat knives still are (contrary to what drunk hunters may tell you, they don't actually hunt with the hunting knife). A dive knife is just there to cut entanglements, bang on your tank, or to cut the air hose of your buddy when he fins you in the face for the last time. Wait, scratch that last one... Bottom line is any knife is a tool. A few are designed for combat, but most are simply there becuase we got tired of chewing on everything we wanted made smaller.

A

evilbacon:

Evil

Knives don't kill people....guns kill people.... :wink:

In Holland any blade longer than 10cm (IIRC) is considered a weapon. Police will generally overlook a dive-knife as long as it's clear that it's part of your dive kit. (unless, of course, you are a foreigner, in which case the drive to discriminate and blame foreigners for everything that's wrong in society outweighs the drive to think....oh, and don't forget to put on your stupid I'm-a-foreigner-but-I'll-take-all-of-your-BS-because-I'm-supposed-to-be-SO-VERY-grateful-that-you-tolerate-my-dirty-stinking-foreign-presence-in-this-otherwise-perfect-and-sacred-square-metre-of-planet-earth smile.....)

but I digress.....

In the law it's a weapon. Under water it's a tool.

R..

I also use my dive knife for diversion. When a big shark comes, my buddy is the first to get cut and bleed......................:D

Seriously, only use a knife to ensure we get cut away when we need to. Mine is a small broken off kitchen knife (serrated) that is kept in a handy spot. Cheap and if I loose it, there will be one less in the kitchen drawer.

Diver0001:
Knives don't kill people....guns kill people.... :wink:

In Holland any blade longer than 10cm (IIRC) is considered a weapon. Police will generally overlook a dive-knife as long as it's clear that it's part of your dive kit. (unless, of course, you are a foreigner, in which case the drive to discriminate and blame foreigners for everything that's wrong in society outweighs the drive to think....oh, and don't forget to put on your stupid I'm-a-foreigner-but-I'll-take-all-of-your-BS-because-I'm-supposed-to-be-SO-VERY-grateful-that-you-tolerate-my-dirty-stinking-foreign-presence-in-this-otherwise-perfect-and-sacred-square-metre-of-planet-earth smile.....)

but I digress.....

In the law it's a weapon. Under water it's a tool.

R..
One of the reasons this 'allochtoon' left..........................

If something or someone is trying to harm me and the only tool I have is a knife...the knife becomes a weapon as well as anything else I can get my hands on.

evilbacon:
what are your opinions on the knives divers carry? Are they a weapon to make you feel safer in the new environment ..
Evil

Most dive knives are crap. They are so small, rust free or complicated in sheath design that they are almost useless for their primary purpose which is to cut. If it's small and cute you might have some difficulty holding onto it when cutting anything substantial.

Within reason, a large sharp knife will do everything a small sharp knife will do, but faster.

As for it being a weapon, give me a break. Any knife I carry while diving is singularly inadequate when confronted with a large predator with 'mouth-full-o-teeth.'

RocketMan:
If something or someone is trying to harm me and the only tool I have is a knife...the knife becomes a weapon as well as anything else I can get my hands on.

Intent :klclown: is not the issue, right?

Pick your dive charter boats :smileysto with care.

Could get messy. :jaws:

Back
Top Bottom