Diving is Not a Sport???!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tasdiver

Muffin Meg Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just ended a conversation with a diver who informed me that he did not consider diving a sport because it was not competitive. His take on diving is, if you want to play football, basketball, tennis, etc. you are competing for a spot on the "team", diving on the other hand is . . . anyone with a C card can dive . . . maybe not as well as another diver with more experience, but . . . I, or anyone who has been certified can dive, so it is NOT a sport. This discussion was brought about by our pondering over the potential benefits of diving over other recreational pursuits to keep a wayward mid-teen out of trouble as she is a certified junior OW diver.

Just a note, I read an article recently, (can't find it right now to reference) about diving considered as a sport. Your thoughts all ........

I agree with him, diving is not a sport, But for different reasons. The dictionary does not agree with that deffinition of "a Sport" however.

It's a relatively casual recreational activity...I don't consider it a sport either. Would you call photography a sport? Anybody can take a picture, some better than others...

CIBDiving:
I agree with him, diving is not a sport, But for different reasons. The dictionary does not agree with that deffinition of "a Sport" however.
Yea, to me its more of an activity.

Uh, lets not delve too deeply into the logical fallacies in that argument.

Shooting is a sport. Skiing is a sport. Whitewater rafting is a sport. Hangliding and parachuting are sports. None require 'teams'.

IMHO a 'sport' is a recreational activity, it need not be team oriented. Some admittedly are a bit more demanding than others...
(and I've never heard anyone ever refer to photography as a "sport"...THATS an activity or an art, like painting or sculpture) :)

On the other hand, your buddy is doubly incorrect. Diving IS a team sport. At least, it is often most safely performed as a member of a team, whether that team is 2, 3, or 4 divers.

As far as wayward teens are concerned, having been one I'm qualified to comment. Any activity at all that (1) they enjoy doing, and (2) will kill them if they screw up, works marvelously. Sport shooting? They tend to like it. Parachuting? It rocks. Skiing down steep slopes? Make sure you can keep up. Scuba? my kids, who inherited my waywardness, always would drop whatever mayhem or civil disobedience they were involved in and would go diving with me at the slightest suggestion.

I would disagree with your buddy the other diver, but thats JMHO. :wink:

YMMV.

Alas, it all comes down to definitions, doesn't it?

The New Lexicon Webster's Dictionary defines "Sport" as:

"the playing of games or participation in competitive pastimes involving physical exertion and skill, esp those played outdoors"

Under such a definition, the only criterium which diving does not qualify as a sport is that of "competitive".

For I think most of us would agree that diving can involve physical exertion, always requires skill, and with the exception of indoor pools and aquariums, is definately "played outdoors."

Now, of course, this begs the question...if you and your dive buddy are attempting to blow the most perfect air ring...wouldn't that be competitive and while diving itself is not a sport...blowing air rings would qualify.

Further, if you and your buddy are in a continous struggle against each other to see who is going to surface with the most air in their tank and lowest SAC rate...then while divng may not be a sport...then is breathing while diving? (I usually lose is this feriously competitive "sport" with my wife/DB)

But maybe the more important aspect to think about is the concept of "competition". If everytime we dive we are competing against an ever increasing standard of being the best diver we can be...then of course diving is a sport...and against an awfully tough opponent, too.

For what it's worth.

Jan

Sport...............

don't know how to "quote" a response yet, so I will just re-type part of Doc Intrepid's post I just LOVE!!! "Scuba? my kids, who inherited my waywardness, always would drop whatever mayhem or civil disobedience they were involved in and would go diving with me at the slightest suggestion."

Ok, maybe I am a BIT over the top about the positive effects of diving (due to the excessive amounts of $'s spent this last year getting certs and gear) BUT, thanks so much Doc for your encouraging and funny words!!!!

T-

"Sport: an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess."

I'd say it's a sport.

I'm agree, it is a sport, no matter what people say.

you may not see it like that or aproached as a sport but it is a sport jus as billiards, climbing, kayaking, hunting...

Back
Top Bottom