Diving is Not a Sport???!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi:
What if you lack skill and physical prowess? :confused:
Then you golf, and play poker (and live vicariously through ESPN)...

It's a sport, but not a COMPETETIVE sport.

As to golf, poker, etc. I think we can all agree that any activity that you can engage in while smoking is NOT a sport.

:)

Ok.... this is what Merriam-Webster Dictionary has to say

sport
Function: noun
1 a : a source of diversion : RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in.​

Two things I got from this..... 1. Diving is a physical activity that I do for pleasure, therefore it is a sport. 2. According to 1b above.... sex is a sport! YeeHaw!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm not sure we can consider an activity a sport just because it's on ESPN. After all, ESPN now airs Scrabble tournaments. Scrabble is definitely not a sport!
Diving is a sport, IMO.

Brian

I'm with you DaytonaDave! Webster is my hero! Sport by standard definition is not necessarily competitive. However, it's always possible to find some dictionary somewhere that will say something else :)

Still it's intersting to consider if diving is or is not competitive. Anyone ever compare: Who dove the deapest, who has the most dives, the best form, best trim, least air consumption, best equipment, highest certification level, nicest underwater smile :wink: etc. etc.

RJP:

I like that. I'll cast my vote with RJP. I put it on the same plane as rock climbing, hiking and fitness running (not competitive running). I consider them all sports, just not competitive sports.

Diving is not a sport, it's a way of life.

No, actually diving is a sport, you do have physical activity, you are in the outdoors, and as far as competition goes, I'd say its very competitive. You are competing against yourself being in a foreign environment, trying to make it as safe as possible (well should be)

RJP:

As to golf, poker, etc. I think we can all agree that any activity that you can engage in while smoking is NOT a sport.

:)

There's some people on this forum with some crazy ideas about how they can get in their smoke break during a safety stop... so even if scuba is a sport now, it might not be in the near future. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom