Diving in Tomales Bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the helpful feedback all. I agree with Ben, the consensus looks like inner Tomales is not a great spot and there aren't services nearby for diving. Now that I think of it, I've swam there a hundred times and only saw the leopard sharks once, and the rays twice, so it likely wouldn't be a productive spot. I appreciate the info!

Sorry if I got testy... I am weirdly sensitive about the shark issue... I love swimming in Inner Tomales. I know the mouth is a huge breeding ground for the landlords and there really is no reason why they couldn't come into the inner bay, but I don't want that to stop me from doing what I love so I always try to shut people down when they bring up the "s" word with Tomales. And as much as I love halibut (mmmm halibut) I am not interested in diving at the mouth of the bay.

Thanks again all.

And if you focus on the sites just a bit further north, like Ft Ross, Stillwater, etc. you'll have a way easier time finding willing dive buddies. :wink:

Thanks Hinalo. I'm a bunny sloper... are these North Bay sites appropriate?

With an experienced local guide and the right conditions both Ft Ross and Gerstle Cove can qualify as very easy, fun bunny slope dives, with a ton of cool stuff to see including a nice wreck debris field (Ft Ross) and red abalone galore.

The north coast is definitely more exposed and sensitive to conditions than Monterey Bay, but when the ocean is calm Gerstle Cove (especially) can be a super fun easy dive. It's where you'll see more OW check out dives than at any other NC spot.

The last time I was at Gerstle it was flat like a lake, and maybe 10-15 foot vis.

If you're into the group thing, check out the NCD group that Peter mentioned. Everyone in that group I've met has been friendly and happy to see a newcomer whether you have 5 or 500 dives under your weightbelt.

Thanks Hinalo. I'm a bunny sloper... are these North Bay sites appropriate?
Very much so appropriate. I am more than happy to introduce you around to some really nice people. I dive the North Coast much of the time since it is close for me, and know the sites well.

The mouth of Tomales bay sees a lot of shark action because they have to funnel through a narrow area there. But that doesn't mean that they don't come into the inner bay.
I've also dove around the pilings at Lawson's Landing and I din't find much but some trash, lot's of Horse neck clam shells, a few small dungeness crabs. It was more of a dive to just see what was there. I'm very curious that way. I can make a dive out of anything just to satisfy my sense of curiosity and adventure. I also think that diving under the docks at Spud Point Marina is fun, and I'm one of the very few that will dive the Bodega Bay Jetty.
I have also dove Elephant Rock which is out of Tomales Bay down along the Point Reyes seashore about 1.5 miles south of the mouth. That is actually much more dangerous. I also dove right below the light house at Point Reyes. That was electrifying!

The problem with the inner bay at Tomales is that much of it is very shallow and lots of it turns into a mud flat at low tide.

The most recent Tomales Bay visit for me found bacteria warnings stating elevated bacteria levels in the water were unsafe for human contact. I've seen gray whales, pilots, lots of leapords and rays... not sure about the white shark risk in the shallow flats... and if you're a macro nut... there are lots of critters and some cool things to see in the eel grass. One of my favorite pastimes is to drift an incoming tide from Toms point down to Hog Island in my Boston Whaler (risk of running aground in most boats!) and watching the action from the boat. I've done this with my kids and had a blast. There are times when I've seen the bay crystal clear and other times the vis is awful... I'll dive the shallows when the water is safe.... with a good sized pole spear I think the shark situation would be no problem.... I'd be more concerned with eel grass entanglement....

There are all sorts or rumors that the mouth of tomales is a breeding ground for whites, etc, etc. My experience is I have been Abalone diving around the point at Bird Rock for over 30 years and have never, ever seen a great white on well over 400 dives.. In fact I have never even seen a dead sea lion or seal remains on shore around the point. The bottom line is you have about as much chance of getting eaten by a great white at Tomales as you would a shark coming up out of your toilet and biting you in the butt:D

Over 400 Abalone dives at bird rock just 1/2 mile from the mouth of the bay since 1974 and thus far no Great Whites spotted, ever.... They may breed there, but they sure as hell are not feeding on humans or sea lions there, they have the Faralons for that...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom