Diving in Tomales Bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure that they'll stay at the mouth of the bay if asked nicely.:D

What's up with all the mocking? I'm just asking if anyone knows about diving in the bay? Tons of people swim there, and I don't mean wade, I mean swim out 100s of yards (INLAND... as I have said) and I"ve never heard of anyone being attacked. There are clearly lots of cool critters there.

Forget it. Nevermind. Sheesh!

I think the short answer is no. Depth, accessibility, diver services (shops/fills), rescue resources and visibility are usually what people look for when choosing sites.

What kind of depth would you get there? or would it be pretty much a snorkel/freedive type of adventure?

Yeah, I'm funin' ya. There are a fair number of sharks in the area, and when I was living around there a few attacks did occur. I haven't been diving there in many years, but I do not recall there being a whole lot to see when we did dive there.

I read that this bay is in close proximity to perhaps a breeding ground for the whites, if you want the link, I can post it....

Last edited:
if you want to dive above SF then this book might be helpful Amazon.com: A Diver's Guide to Northern California (9780962860027): Bruce Watkins: Books

Bruce has also really nice website California Diving News - The Premier Website for California Divers

I tried to dive in that area and visited shop in Bodega Bay, they do not offer guided scuba dives (only free dives).

Looking at the the chapter about Tamales Bay in Cris's Book, it's shallow and he talks about halibut only ... hmmm halibut

I am a very new diver and I find the NoCal dive culture a little intimidating. I am looking for a comfortable local place to continue my dive training~
How about you come out with us in either in Monterey on May 22nd for the Scubaboard Meet and Greet, or with North Coast Divers at the next club dive, which typically is the first Saturday of the month :cool2: (Note: This weekend of the club dive is probably not easily divable on the North Coast, due to wind and waves.)

Many people are willing to dive with newer divers and help them gain experience. Please become part of our community and I think you will find our people and culture are very welcoming. There are many other females divers among us.

As to Tomales, I think you can tell by now, most of us are afraid of the Landlord!

What's up with all the mocking? I'm just asking if anyone knows about diving in the bay? Tons of people swim there, and I don't mean wade, I mean swim out 100s of yards (INLAND... as I have said) and I"ve never heard of anyone being attacked. There are clearly lots of cool critters there.

Forget it. Nevermind. Sheesh!

JFC, take a chill pill. You're never going to make it on the internet being so high strung. Especially in the NorCal section.

JFC, take a chill pill. You're never going to make it on the internet being so high strung. Especially in the NorCal section.

:rofl3:

he is lucky he asked about dive site, try to ask "I am planning to buy XYZ BCD, what do you think?" and you shall see what is going to happen :argument:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom