Diving in the St. John's River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverjed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Any north florida area divers familiar with diving in the St. John's river? if any?

Like minded divers looking for artifacts, meg teeth, etc.

I take an annual fishing trip to St. Johns river in Palatka, FL. I've often wondered the same thing. We've taken the boat down some of the smaller rivers like Dunn's Creek etc and on the depth finder I've found some holes that drop from 20' bottom to over 80' or 100'. I've often wondered if it was a sink hole or spring in the floor of the river. But a quick look at the tannic water and the gators kept me out of it.

Jeremy

JKSteger:
I take an annual fishing trip to St. Johns river in Palatka, FL. I've often wondered the same thing. We've taken the boat down some of the smaller rivers like Dunn's Creek etc and on the depth finder I've found some holes that drop from 20' bottom to over 80' or 100'. I've often wondered if it was a sink hole or spring in the floor of the river. But a quick look at the tannic water and the gators kept me out of it.

Jeremy

Oh yeah, aware of the pollution and gator issues. But I have overheard from the 'he said-she said' vine that some divers have expolored certain parts of it.

My grandfather lives in Palatka and has a canal behind his house that takes him out to the river. I've seen gators in it. I think I'd be afraid to try diving there?

Although I'd be interested in hearing if there really was any good diving. Could combine a dive trip with a visit to see him next year.

Good fossiling in areas and artifacts dating back thousands of years as well .

Is there ANY thing to dive in the Jacksonville area, except for boat diving?

Don't sweat the gator thing too much in the winter. They get slow. Think of it as diving with living fossils.

Tom Winters:
Don't sweat the gator thing too much in the winter. They get slow. Think of it as diving with living fossils.
:rofl3: Perfect description of the ones I dove with in Silver River last week – but DON’T surface next to floating logs on a sunny day.

I ain't afraid of no lizard. Ya see boys, them gators is like a dog that's been beat a few times more than what's good for him. They act all big and bad, but the second they realize that you ain't afraid of them they back down. Exception is nesting/mating season, that would be like trying to pull a ready-to-go pit bull off a randy buitch just as he's starting to enjoy himself. Ya just cain't do that to 'em.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom