Diving in Maui this October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would also like to add that we don't mind doing 30ft dives if it means both divers and snorkellers can enjoy lots of marine life

There are a number of Molokini snorkel charters that also do shallow scuba. Trilogy is a quality operator, and there are others. Snorkeling at Molokini is something many think is a must do, except for many divers, who think diving at Molokini is a must do.

:coffee:

I don't know anything about LD, but a steel 72 does not hold much less air than an Al 80 (which is actually holding around 77-78 cu. ft). So your remark about this being a way to give shorter dives does not really stand up.

In practice, that extra few cubic feet is going to be trumped by many other factors of a dive operator.

Lahaina Divers uses AL72 tanks, not steel. However, due to their distance from Molokini and Lanai, they usually have shorter surface intervals and limit bottom time as a result. They really don't need anything bigger for the profiles they typically do....but I've always thought that the real reason was to give diver's the feeling of satisfaction of using their whole tank during a dive.

Regardless, I've always managed to be one of the first off the boat and last on for typically a 50 minute dive. :wink:

so.... many... options. I am still doing alot of searching over the forums. I definitely want to do a shallow dive first. Then move on to something deeper :)

I also want to hit up the aquarium and dive with the sharks, since I have a fear for sharks.

I just returned from a trip to Maui and went diving with a couple of operators. The first was a family outing (kids ranging in age from 5 to 14) on the Pride of Maui who offered scuba, snuba and snorkelling so I wasn't expecting the best diving and I was pleasantly surprised. Did not feel like a "cattle boat" at all and the entire family enjoyed their respective activities. The food and drink - including beer and tropical drinks on the way back to the harbor - was also great.

My second, fourth, fifth, six and seventh outings were with the Scuba Shack. I hadn't planned on doing as many dives but just kept having fun and wanting to go again. The organization was top notch, with almost new equipment since they swap out the gear every month or so and sell it at the store. We did some great diving and the location were chosen based on our customer feedback. We did some cool dives, including the back wall and they seemed to attract a great bunch of people. My 10 year-old joined us for snorkelling at the shallower second dive sites and the crew are very family orientated.

My third day of diving was with Ed Robinson. The organization was not as sharp as the Scuba Shack and we spent a fair amount of time on a smaller boat bobbing around trying to find moorings. Great dive masters but not overly organized on the day I was there.

If I was staying at Lahaina I'd definitely go with Lahaina Divers

If I was staying at Lahaina I'd definitely go with Lahaina Divers

I just dove with them today. We did First Cathedral and Menpachi Caves over at Lanai. Well-run operation.

First Cathedral is a must-dive.

I would recommend doing shore dives while you're in Lahaina. Almost everything up there is easily accessible and you'll save yourself $100/day/person in boat and crew fees. Black Rock, Airport, Mala Wharf, and Olowalu are all hop-in-and-dive spots.

To dive Molokini, you can't go wrong with Makena Coast, and I would rate Ed Robinson and Maui Dreams right up there too. There's also plenty of shore diving in Kihei, and you can find dive guides just about anywhere.

I'm in Maui until Oct 12th. If you want to hook up for a shore dive, let me know. I would like to do a night dive at Black Rock and a morning dive at 5 caves.

Halemanō - I want to dive the Molokini crater and do Cathedrals, this coming Sunday / Monday (Oct 9/10 2011) .

Sumfingwong - you could join us on one of those and have halemanō take & sell you UW pics of your wife & you. Worth every penny. Sylvie & I have pics taken of us in Cozumel, and also a video on one trip. Paid the $$$ and love the memories. One pic, the two of us with a turtle, will be framed in a 16"x20" in our home.

If you can afford to get married and go to Maui, you can afford a photo shoot. Halemanō's rate is quite reasonable and you'd be helping out a guy that does diving for a living, during the off-season.

so.... many... options. I am still doing alot of searching over the forums. I definitely want to do a shallow dive first. Then move on to something deeper :)

I also want to hit up the aquarium and dive with the sharks, since I have a fear for sharks.

Well, I'm 42 and 200 lbs. Trust me, if you dive with us, and there are sharks, they'll go after me way before they go after a newlywed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom