Diving in Maui this October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know anything about LD, but a steel 72 does not hold much less air than an Al 80 (which is actually holding around 77-78 cu. ft). So your remark about this being a way to give shorter dives does not really stand up.

In practice, that extra few cubic feet is going to be trumped by many other factors of a dive operator.

I will lightly differ with you on your opinion that a 72 cubic foot cylinder is no different than an 80 cubic foot cylinder. You are entitled to your opinion so I am not going to go into that argument that eventually go to Rock Bottom Gas Management and agency "A" standards bashing.....

I would however propose that using the small volume cylinder might provide some convienence by lightening the surface load on the divers, using less storage space and making it eaisier to move around the boat with your gear on. These reasons I do like. :thumb:

There should be about 4 certified divers, and about 3 snorkellers. What dive op would you recommend for lahaina (where all of us will be staying)? The 2nd week, the only divers will be yours truly with 2 snorkelers. We will be moving our stuff to a vacation rental in kihei

How about Molokini? Is there a way where scuba divers do their thing, and snorkelers can head out to a shallow reef area?

Halemanō - I want to dive the Molokini crater and do Cathedrals, this coming Sunday / Monday (Oct 9/10 2011) .

Sumfingwong - you could join us on one of those and have halemanō take & sell you UW pics of your wife & you. Worth every penny. Sylvie & I have pics taken of us in Cozumel, and also a video on one trip. Paid the $$$ and love the memories. One pic, the two of us with a turtle, will be framed in a 16"x20" in our home.

If you can afford to get married and go to Maui, you can afford a photo shoot. Halemanō's rate is quite reasonable and you'd be helping out a guy that does diving for a living, during the off-season.

Allllrighty then; here's today's update:

I'm going to expand on the "you'd be helping out" concept. It is off-season, and the boat operators have to have more than 3 divers to make it worth there while to go out.

I have made reservations for Mark, Sylvie and myself to go with Extended Horizons on Monday. That is typically a Lanai Cathedrals trip unless the South Swell gets crazy big. They only had 2 divers booked, so we make it a for sure trip, which means Capt. Erin and guide Victoria now have work on Monday. I will be allowed to guide our group, and if more SB'ers want to join us it is no different in price from being a normal EH customer (dive + photos).

I have talked with Makena Coast Charters and currently we are the only ones looking at Sunday, so we need 2 more divers to make a trip. Again, I will be allowed to guide our dive group, the price is the same as their normal price, and in both cases my clients have major input in the hows and wheres of my guiding. If "MY" group included 4-6 divers and some snorkelers, it is highly likely that we would get to chose the sites so both parties would have good experiences, we might even have the boat to ourselves, and if so then the mate could possibly "guide" the snorkelers. Plus, just like with EH, we would be giving the Capt. and mate work on a day that they currently have no work.

The key to my boat "photo/guiding" business plan is to generate more than just "photo/guiding" business for me; it is for my Extended 'Ohana and me! :eyebrow:

Thanks Halemanō. If need be, we could make a separate thread "Looking for 2 divers for Molikini this Sunday Oct 9th 2011".

Worst case - if we go with snorkelers, we won't be able to dive of the wall, or do two dives, but at least we'll do it once - better than none.

Worst case - if we go with snorkelers, we won't be able to dive of the wall, or do two dives, but at least we'll do it once - better than none.

This is a dive boat that sometimes takes snorkelers, so there would still be 2 dives. Many experienced Molokini divers think the ends of the crescent are more consistently spectacular.

:D

Reefs End and Enenui can both accommodate snorkelers. When it's calm (>80%) there is really cool shallows, but it drops off quick, so when it's "not quite" calm snorkelers are in fairly deep water. :idk:

Sorry, I won't be on island until Wednesday, or I would join you. :(

Sorry all, I was side tracked with work. I will be arriving the 9th, and leaving the 22nd. I will keep an eye on this thread. But so far, I have booked a shore dive with Shaka Doug, there is about 4 of us diving

Halemanō - I want to dive the Molokini crater and do Cathedrals, this coming Sunday / Monday (Oct 9/10 2011) .

Sumfingwong - you could join us on one of those and have halemanō take & sell you UW pics of your wife & you. Worth every penny. Sylvie & I have pics taken of us in Cozumel, and also a video on one trip. Paid the $$$ and love the memories. One pic, the two of us with a turtle, will be framed in a 16"x20" in our home.

If you can afford to get married and go to Maui, you can afford a photo shoot. Halemanō's rate is quite reasonable and you'd be helping out a guy that does diving for a living, during the off-season.

I would love to, but my wife (to be) does not like scuba diving, she likes snorkeling alot more. She has problems equalizing under water.

Well, I'm 42 and 200 lbs. Trust me, if you dive with us, and there are sharks, they'll go after me way before they go after a newlywed.

im around that weight as well.. I guess we are both goners. :D

After my wedding, the only day to dive will be the 14th (with people coming to my wedding) after the 15th, I will be solo joining some dive ops :(

WOOHOO!!! I'm at Ka'anapali beach!!! With an orange 2-door Jeep Wrangler.

Sorry all, I was side tracked with work. I will be arriving the 9th, and leaving the 22nd. I will keep an eye on this thread. But so far, I have booked a shore dive with Shaka Doug, there is about 4 of us diving

When? I or Sylvie & I might be able to join. I know that I'm diving Sun & Mon with Halemano. "Elk" leaves on the 12th and might also be interested.

If someone reading this wants my cell phone #, send me a PM with your # to reach you, and I'll check up on my messages tonight.

A shore-based shallow night dive could be possible for me this week too.

So Sunday (tomorrow morning) we're doing Molokini crater. Monday morning, Catherdrals.

Tuesday a night dive from shore around the Black Rock area. Elk is leaving Wednesday, so that we can have him along.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom