Diving in Krabi/Phuket??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard from my friends that currently Thailand is still in monsoon till Jan next yr.

Is it true?

Monsoon???

The weather is currently hot and sunny, with the occasional tropical shower. The wind has turned to the NorthWest, so this means good weather for the West Coast of Thailand. Someone just told me that it is now raining and windy in the Gulf of Thailand. Here it's lovely, so long as you don't mind the sun.

In any case, Phuket never really gets seriously bad weather or a real "rains for ever" monsoon. Much of the time in the May-October "low season" the weather is great. It just gets a bit windy and makes waves on the beach so you can't go in for a paddle. I think the whole "bad weather in the low season" idea is not valid here. All you can really say is that on average, the weather is better between November and April.

Happy travels

Phuket Diving

Sunrise once bubbled...
Much of the time in the May-October "low season" the weather is great. It just gets a bit windy and makes waves on the beach so you can't go in for a paddle. I think the whole "bad weather in the low season" idea is not valid here.

Will you then please explain to me why on earth we were forced to stay put for a whole week in May this year because the sea was so rough that the boat was unable to come back to Krabi from Phuket?

It had gone there for provisions, result: four full days of NO diving and another three out with a long-tail?

I like diving from long-tails, but out of four planned three-dives trips to the King Cruiser, Anemone Reef and Shark Point we managed to do ONE :upset:

Once we set out to do as planned, but the boat captain made a detour well out at sea because the sea was too rough and went instead to Koh Phi Phi (Maya Bay and Koh Bida Noi).

As all of the three sites are in the middle of nowhere coming back on the boat would have been very difficult at best.

Just another thought: on one of the last days of my stay, there was a boat going with "normal" tourists to PhiPhi, they were supposed to come back at 6pm, they arrived, very scared and very tired at 1am the following morning.

I know you need to fill hotels and restaurants during the whole year, but please do not tell us that May through October is just as good as November through April.

Otherwise how come prices go down as much as 50% during low season?

When I came to Thailand exactly one year ago there were people all over the place looking for rooms, anywhere at almost any price.

At the hotel I was staying both times, out of 54 rooms, only 9 were occupied in May, and it's a 3*, not megaluxury.

Sunrise once bubbled...
Monsoon???

The weather is currently hot and sunny, with the occasional tropical shower. The wind has turned to the NorthWest, so this means good weather for the West Coast of Thailand. Someone just told me that it is now raining and windy in the Gulf of Thailand. Here it's lovely, so long as you don't mind the sun.

In any case, Phuket never really gets seriously bad weather or a real "rains for ever" monsoon. Much of the time in the May-October "low season" the weather is great. It just gets a bit windy and makes waves on the beach so you can't go in for a paddle. I think the whole "bad weather in the low season" idea is not valid here. All you can really say is that on average, the weather is better between November and April.

Happy travels

Phuket Diving

Is it just Phuket that's sunny?

well.....i thought of heading down to Krabi.....what do you guys think?

Will it be good to dive?

well....i thought of heading down to Anemone Reef,Shark Pt and King Cruiser Wreck.....any comments abt these sites?

Any idea how long will the journey be from Ao Nang?

Thanks a great deal guys!!!:)

The boat trip from Ao Nang to the wreck and nearby Shark Point and Anemone Reef takes around two and a half hours, about the same from Phuket.

Do them, and look out for whale and leopard sharks!

I so much envy you!

Weather in Krabi should be the same as Phuket - it's only about 50km as the crow flies. The winds have changed now and apart from the odd tropical shower (yes we are in the tropics), weather is great an will get better.

From Krabi or Phuket, the best local dives are King Cruiser, Shark Point, Anemone Reef. From Krabi, many trips also to Phi Phi to dive Koh Bida Nok/Koh Bida Nai. Now the weather is good, someone might just start the speedboats to Hin Daeng which is even better.

Actually, time to these dive sites may be quicker from Krabi as they often use speed boats. From Phuket, average time to Shark Point is 1 hour 45 minutes.

Thanks for your interest in Thailand, TigerShark.

Secondly,

Pity you had a horrible time Chiara. However, I have checked and our day trips were running EVERY DAY in May. I was diving with Open water students and even Discover Scuba Diving during the month. I can't recall exact conditions on specific days, but for sure it was not the kind of weather to make you sit and sob for a week. Had it been really bad I would have written it in my log. Mind you, a long tail boat is not a big dive boat. Next time you need to get provisions from Phuket to Krabi, take a bus. It's quicker.

Probably the Phi Phi ferry got an engine problem and then was left bouncing around in the sea for hours. As it was full of "normal" tourists not old salty sea dogs, I'm sure they didn't enjoy it.

I did not say the weather in the low season is as good as the high season. I said the weather is better between November and April. However, for example, my family came over for 17 days in July (mid low season) and the weather was never bad. Hey, not always postcard brochure bacardi advert perfect, but good. Only time we saw lots of rain was while driving over to the east coast, between Phang Nga and Surat Thani up in the hills. Pi**sed down.

Hotel prices go down because there are not enough people. People on holiday want the best weather possible, so they come here from November to April. In the low season then you have a bargain holiday. Cheap hotels and uncrowded beaches and uncrowded dive sites. For the average tourist, the low season is unattractive as the wind blows waves on the beach from the West. And we all like to sit and relax on the beach and go for a swim. From June to October, the East coast of Thailand has it's best weather as they are on the sheltered East coast away from the West wind.

That's enough from the weatherman.

Thanks alot for your help guys......:wink:

I am so relieved to hear that the weather is great!!!

I've been trying to find info on the bus schedules from Krabi to Hat Yai as i have friends who will be staying in Hat Yai while i make my way down to Krabi for my dives.

Does anyone knows where i can find those info?

The bus terminal should be the Talat Kao Bus Terminal but i simply cannot find any data on the bus schedules from Krabi to Hat Yai.

This is the only piece of info i am searching for before i make my booking to dive Krabi.........simply cant wait to dive there !!!

Thanks alot everybody for the help provided....

*bow*..:)

Tigershark

King Cruiser is a good wreck dive. there is a lot of marine life on the wreck and its physically imposing. It's best if you can get there early as the wreck tends to get a bit busy later in the day. You have to go down on one of two mooring ropes - one on the bow and one on the stern - as the current over the wreck is quite strong. The ropes can get crowded with those doing their safety stops bumping into the hordes going down. Shark point is also a nice dive.

regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom