diving in denver????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meterman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
im from so. california and dive all the time and i my be moving to denver colorado in the future. will i not be diving anymore or is there any fresh water diving there in colorado or is it to cold there???

meterman:
im from so. california and dive all the time and i my be moving to denver colorado in the future. will i not be diving anymore or is there any fresh water diving there in colorado or is it to cold there???

Meterman,

Diving here is rather because one loves to dive, wants to train, needs to keep active, or maybe a bit of all three.

Blue Hole is a SIX hour drive. While the diving is unique (Lava formed spring) it's hardly what one can find in any ocean. Diving the local lakes ranges from just dismal, to somewhat tolerable. On a good day at Aurora Res, you will get 10Feet of vis.

There is some better diving to be had in the cold mountain lakes. These are high altitude dives (9000ft+), but generally one can get better vis. I've read that Flaming gorge is a good dive, but that is 4+hours away. The closest good diving is just a few hours away, but requires a plane!! :11doh:

Diving here in a word SUXS!! :D But it can be done.

Midway Crater on this side of the Rockies! We also hit Lake Mead late in the fall when no boats are on the lake. Lake Powell is just to cloudy most times of the year. Have fun.

Someone--I can't remember who off the top of my head--who contributes to the Rocky Mountain Oyster club has a perfect signature:

Colorado: just a plane ride away from really great diving!

On the other hand, the Denver metro area has a ton of divers. You will have your pick of some very high quality dive shops with knowledgeable staffs. Many of them arrange some outstanding trips.

There are two oft-repeated statistics about Colorado diving. The first is that there are more divers per capita in Colorado than any other state. The second is in answer to the oft-asked question of where do you go to dive around Denver? "Well, first you drive to the airport..."

Alot of people dive Horsetooth and Carter Lake viz is usally good but the water is cold.You might want to consider getting a drysuit. As far as Lake Powell UT diving here is great in the winter and in the summer go down mid lake viz is usally alot better.

Colorado has some great direct flights to Cozumel.... :D

H20Bubbles:
Colorado has some great direct flights to Cozumel.... :D

My unscientific guess is that most Colorado divers consider Cozumel a local dive site. It takes less time to get there from Denver than to either the Blue Hole or Homestead Crater, and the diving is considerably better.

Squidboy:
Alot of people dive Horsetooth and Carter Lake viz is usally good but the water is cold.You might want to consider getting a drysuit. As far as Lake Powell UT diving here is great in the winter and in the summer go down mid lake viz is usally alot better.

You think the viz is good in Carter Lake? My opinion is a little different. This past summer, I was buddying with a student working on some specialty or another. She was navigating, and I was just off her shoulder, easily within arm's reach. I saw her start to clear her mask, so I figured it was a good time to check my gauges. I had to bring them right up to my eyes to do that, and when I looked back, she was out of sight. I hunted for a minute, and then started to the surface. On the way up, I saw her bubbles, so I dived back down through them. I didn't see her until I almost hit her.

Back
Top Bottom