diving in denver????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn:
My unscientific guess is that most Colorado divers consider Cozumel a local dive site. It takes less time to get there from Denver than to either the Blue Hole or Homestead Crater, and the diving is considerably better.

Unfortunately it's also a bit more expensive, like about 10X the cost of a drive to the Hole. However I must agree that the best diving out of Denver involves a plane. :06:

RonFrank:
Unfortunately it's also a bit more expensive, like about 10X the cost of a drive to the Hole. However I must agree that the best diving out of Denver involves a plane. :06:

Hence, my sig. line... :D

BurBunny:
The first is that there are more divers per capita in Colorado than any other state.

I've often heard this. I questioned my LDS, and they indicated that CO certified more divers per capita, but FL has more divers vs. any state. Impossible to say, but it is impressive that CO (mostly Denver I'm betting) has so many divers. Our LDS certifies 1000+ per year, and that is a LOT of new divers... wonder how many actually dive on even an annual basis.

Based on the Discussion boards, the Oysters site is rather grim :D Especially compared to the Conch activity!

RonFrank:

This must be why you keep trying to get people to go with you to the hole on the Oysters site.:D

RonFrank:
I've often heard this. I questioned my LDS, and they indicated that CO certified more divers per capita, but FL has more divers vs. any state. Impossible to say, but it is impressive that CO (mostly Denver I'm betting) has so many divers. Our LDS certifies 1000+ per year, and that is a LOT of new divers... wonder how many actually dive on even an annual basis.

Based on the Discussion boards, the Oysters site is rather grim :D Especially compared to the Conch activity!

Ron, that's because you're trying to get us to dive in cold water :wink:

As for the pure number of divers, as opposed to per capita numbers, I've been told the certified divers in Colorado ranks third in the nation... behind Florida and I believe it's California. And definitely the divers aren't only in the Metro area. For example, Beaver Divers up in Eagle-Vail does a nice business last time I checked.

boulderjohn:
This must be why you keep trying to get people to go with you to the hole on the Oysters site.:D

Actually my issue is a wife and kid who love tropical destinations. If I want to dive, I pay for the whole family to go which becomes limiting. With SW airlines making flights to CA affordable, I may get to dive the Kelp forests without taking the FAM as they have been to S. CA many times and are less interested in going there :14:

It has not been difficult getting divers down to the hole. I figure I'll go twice more this winter before I can get someplace warm and gooder to dive :D

BTW, anyone up for the hole? :05: We are likely going in Feb. When we finalize a date, I'll post it, but looks like DiveDoggy, and likely Dan are interested in a Feb trip.

BurBunny:
Ron, that's because you're trying to get us to dive in cold water :wink:

It's not cold in a Drysuit!! :D I'd dive in 30F water weekly IF there was stuff to see, and good vis.. unfortunately.. well..:06:

So are most Denver Divers Warm Water Wooooseys? Me thinks it maybe so, and I can not really blame them :D At least the sking Kicks Serious Tail :wink:

RonFrank:
It's not cold in a Drysuit!! :D I'd dive in 30F water weekly IF there was stuff to see, and good vis.. unfortunately.. well..:06:

So are most Denver Divers Warm Water Wooooseys? Me thinks it maybe so, and I can not really blame them :D At least the sking Kicks Serious Tail :wink:

Yup! Certified Warm Water Wimp here. Wouldn't mind a dry suit, but not going to put the investment into one to dive around here. For PNW or CA? Yup. But if I'm going to pay to go somewhere, why not go where it's warm and clear?

Ahhh, come on down here to New Mexico and dive the Blue Hole! We do! We used to live in Colorado Springs and either came down to Blue Hole 3-4 times a year to dive or got on a plane to Cozumel. Now that we live in Albuquerque, we dive at Blue Hole 5-6 times a year and ..... well, get on a plane to go diving somewhere else. At least we have Blue Hole!!

hey, burbunny..... you don't need a drysuit to dive Blue Hole, we do it year round in a 7mm suit. Come on down and help me play with the video rig!

robint

BurBunny:
Yup! Certified Warm Water Wimp here. Wouldn't mind a dry suit, but not going to put the investment into one to dive around here. For PNW or CA? Yup. But if I'm going to pay to go somewhere, why not go where it's warm and clear?

I agree with BurBunny. Why pay all that money on a dry suit to dive poor visibility colorado lakes. Just dive Blue Hole with your 7MM and save that money to go somewhere warm with great visibility and drinks with umbrellas in them.

Happy Diving!!!!

Back
Top Bottom