Diving Hooka type system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PV-Chip

New
Reaction score
Hi,
We currently have an old Hooka yellow 50’ hose with a regulator attached. This is attached to a stage one regulator and then a dive tank which we leave on deck. It works fine for cleaning the bottom of our 36’ sail boat. It is however a pain to get the tank to shore (we are at anchor) and then filled and back.
We would like a compressor so we can get rid of the dive tank and always have air. I have been looking at these Hooka type “A” compressors I think they are called. They come in a complete dive kits of accessories like the hose and regulator etc for quite a bit of pesos or dollars.
Ideally we would like the compressor to run off our house batteries and use 9-11 amps so our solar panels can keep up. Our water maker draws 8 amps and we can run it all day without a problem. These 12 compressors I have seen. These I think require a different psi regulator to breathe through but I do not know for sure.

We could if necessary use a 110 volt compressor that would run off the Honda 2000 generator we have to run a 110 compressor.

Getting something affordable here in Puerto Vallarta is a problem but not impossible. You can bring into the country an item for sports duty free, so that may be an option if we find someone coming down.
We are looking for information on these choices.
I do not generally go down more than the keel of our boat which is 5 1\2 feet. I might need to check the anchor which is usually never more than 25’ down but have never had to yet.
I am not opposed to a compressor like a nail gun 100 psi compressor like the local diver use. Where to buy these Thomas compressors in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. My Spanish is not that good yet so asking a local is difficult but I will try when I see one at the marina diving. They also use DeWault compressors.
I know the argument of the compressor is not for diving but we only use it for an hour or so every two weeks. There are lots of people here using these nail gun type compressors and I have never heard of any problems. They would however require the use of our Honda generator instead of using our deep cycle marine batteries.
Thank you,
Chip

---------- Post added March 6th, 2014 at 02:15 PM ----------

Hi,
I did get some info by searching the posts.
I also found this little compressor and for cleaning the bottom of our sail boat it seems good and at a good price.
Please any comments?
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/277044-diy-scuba-hookah-2.html

---------- Post added March 6th, 2014 at 02:19 PM ----------

Here is the complete kit which seems at the price the way to go as I would not need to convert a snorkel?
Comments please?
Will I be starving for air?
Full Kit

Whatever you decide, get one designed for breathing air. Other hardware compressors could contaminate with oil, not good for one minute, much less an hour.

The yellow hose you currently have is also likely rated for breathing air, not the common hoses you buy at the hardware store. It is likely marked as such.

My personal favorite is the air line brand. The are the most robust hookah unit out there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Doc
Whatever you decide, get one designed for breathing air. Other hardware compressors could contaminate with oil, not good for one minute, much less an hour.

The yellow hose you currently have is also likely rated for breathing air, not the common hoses you buy at the hardware store. It is likely marked as such.

You will never find a compressor specifically designed to provide breathing for use in a recreational-level hookah. Every single compressor in every single hookah you can buy, be it gas, electric or battery-powered is a compressor that was designed to do something else. What that means is that compressors that can supply breathing air are easy to find. What is not so easy to find are the compressors that can do the job well and for a long time. Thomas brand is what I have used in my hull cleaning business for over nineteen years and what I always recommend.

Quality issues aside, you must use an oilless compressor. Whether it comes from Home Depot or from a high-end hookah retailer, it must be oilless. Same for breathing hose. Never, ever use pneumatic tool hose. Use mil-spec breathing hose only.

Here is the complete kit which seems at the price the way to go as I would not need to convert a snorkel?
Comments please?
Will I be starving for air?
Full Kit

Probably.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom