Diving Guideless

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is one thing being confident in your skills and your ability in a sterile environment, it is a whole different issue having some knowledge of the area.

At the very least I would recommend a dive or two with a guide in the area you intend to dive and then do an unguided dive in the same area.

Even very experienced divers are advised to get either a briefing or a guide when they are new to an area.

Just my thoughts.

Regards

Richard

Thanks, everybody for all the great input! I do have to say, I feel comfortable looking at it (I was diving further north, and went to see what the entry was like). It seems even easier than the entry at the area where all OW certification is done. My plan certainly is to take it really slow and navigate straight.

The more I get into scuba, I get concerned that it is difficult to afford, if every time you go somewhere new you have to bring along a dm, or you have to get out there every other week. Being land locked, and, you know, all those other "obligations" can make it a difficult thing to keep up. This will be the first semi-spontaneous trip. I wold LOVE to be able to be more spontaneous in the sport... that's why I invested in all that equipment!

Anyway, I'm very excited about our first step out ...and will let you know how it turns out. :)

You don't always have to hire a DM. I joined a local scuba club right after I was certified and met many, many divers who were all more experienced than I. That's how I actually "learned" to dive, not by taking the class but by diving as often as possible with buddies who were willing to teach me what they knew. My advice is to join a scuba club in your area. You will get a ton of experience and will probably dive more often than if you stick with just one buddy.

Whether you're ready to dive independantly depends on your skill, comfort and confidence and you'll know when your ready. The fact that you're posting seems to indicate you're at least ready to find out.

It also depends on the circumstances of the dive. You might be ready for a dive in a cove, but not yet ready for an open beach dive with surf, surge and strong current.

I suggest you approach this as you do other aspects of life. Grow your capabilities by pushing at your boundries incrementaly, expanding your range over successive dives. If you're very nervous about your first unguided dive, you might ask a more experienced diver to join you as a passive observer and backup safety, and have him critique you afterwards.

Even though you were trained to "stay within your limits", don't be afraid to expand those limits by probing at the outer fringes. Have a great first "on your own dive". dF

Speaking of scuba clubs, give us a try.

The North Coast Divers - Index.

No meetings. No officers. No dues. We dive each month, usually on the Sonoma and Mendicino coast. Experience ranges from "still wet behind the ears" OW newbies through seasoned instructors. It's a great way to meet other divers, gain valuable experience, learn about new divesites and conditions and have a blast.

Give it a try and, soon, you'll find that the expense of your diving is mainly gas and food. (Gas meaning fuel for your car/truck and air fills.)

The more I get into scuba, I get concerned that it is difficult to afford, if every time you go somewhere new you have to bring along a dm, or you have to get out there every other week.

With a little effort & guidance you'll be diving for the cost of air in a jiffy.

Back
Top Bottom