Diving Florida on a Budget---Need Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clernix---I copied this quote from the Trolls board you posted..
.... Also I plan to be in Jupiter 08/07-08/14....

Be aware that week is crazy busy in Jupiter. It's opening weekend of lobster season and like mentioned above all the Goliath's are in town for the orgy. Some boats only have a few seats left now and most boats will sellout very fast. If you haven't made boat/equipment reservations, don't wait or you could find be stuck at the dock.

Hi Clernix

Here are my thoughts for your trip. If you want three goliath boat trips, my recommendations as to dive sites are:

1. Zion Train wreck trek (90') coupled with a wreck called MG-111 (60') both off of Jupiter. These can be done on a single 2 tank trip. Ask the operators about this. I prefer to use an operator going out of Jupiter Inlet as it is closer to the dive sites. Operators from Palm Beach may, or may not, go to these sites, which are far from Palm Beach Inlet so why take chances? As for operators, either Capt Sl8r, or Jupiter Dive Center. Both are excellent.

2. Mizpah, as Danvolker mentioned, a really great wreck. BUT, it is close to the inlet so you want to do this on a HIGH TIDE if at all possible, otherwise murky water from the bay might lower the vis. Yes, this does make a big difference. Check tide tables to see if you want a morning or afternoon trip based on the tide. For this, use an operator going out of Palm Beach Inlet: My favorites are Jim Abernethy, Narcosis Dive Boats, Pura Vida Divers.

3. The Castor wreck off of Boynton Beach. Of the Goliath spots, I think this one is the very best, and the wreck is fantastic. You need to use an operator out of Boynton Marina. I like Splashdown Divers or Underwater Explorers.

I would not allow multi-trip discounts to persuade you to concentrate on one operator. The Goliath aggregation is fantastic and since this is a special trip, I would hit all three of the spots, even though you may have to use different operators for each.

You don't have to move hotels to do these different dives, all of these are within a 30 minute drive of any place you might stay in the Palm Beach or Jupiter area.

As for where to stay, you have a lot of choice. My first recommendation would be that Best Western in Jupiter. It is walking distance (across the street) to some great restaurants and a great dive shop (Scubaworks) if you need any gear, and 5 minutes from either Jupiter Dive Center or Capt Sl8r. It is also 5 minutes to a really nice beach right at Jupiter Inlet. The hotel itself is very decent and is on a walkway that takes you about a mile along the intracoastal to a primitive preserve with trails, if you like a little exercise. Allow about 15-20 mins to Blue Heron Bridge and the Palm Beach boats for the Mizpah. Allow 30-40 mins to drive to Boynton for your Castor dive. If you want, do the Castor the day you check out and you are already on the way to the Keys.

Near north Palm Beach, there is nothing for accommodations under $100 that is quite as good and also so close to really nice things to do. That is no big deal as everything nice is a pretty short drive away. The motel 6 on Palm Beach Lakes seems to have fans. At Blue Heron blvd and I-95 there is a Red Roof In and some other cheap hotels. I have stayed there and they are fine, but nothing to do at the hotel proper and you don't want to walk around the area. But, you can save some $ over the Best Western if that is important.

Also as a FYI capt sl8r is NOT going to the wrecks in Jupiter for the time being per a recent post on his Facebook page.

Going off of memory it is a safety issue related to alternate uses of that dive site for shark feeding. He assures his customers that they will visit other sites with lots of GGs (such as MG111)

I cant provide any more details than that as I haven't been in the loop but people ought to know when planning their trips as the wrecks are a prime GG spot.

Last year Emerald held off on the feeding at the Zion Train during Goliath season. I wonder if they (or the other feeding ops) are not doing the same this year?

EDIT: I went back a month or so on his facebook page and did not see the post.

I've never seen a shark chase off a GG.

But I've seen plenty of GG's chase off a shark !

When it's their party, the taxman can go screw himself.
Can't wait for the massive bait balls to come along also. Awesome photo opportunities are just around the corner.

Last year Emerald held off on the feeding at the Zion Train during Goliath season. I wonder if they (or the other feeding ops) are not doing the same this year?

EDIT: I went back a month or so on his facebook page and did not see the post.

No idea on emerald but the post was july 3rd. FB doesnt show all posts on a group wall back in time but if you do a search for "capt sl8r wreck" it shows up

I've never seen a shark chase off a GG.

But I've seen plenty of GG's chase off a shark !

When it's their party, the taxman can go screw himself.
Can't wait for the massive bait balls to come along also. Awesome photo opportunities are just around the corner.

Yeah, the sharks don't seem to scare the goliaths, I think the concern is divers in the area of chummed/fed sharks. That is a different debate which I don't want to get into here. I thought Emerald was pretty classy last year in holding off on the feeds (or doing them in different spots) during GG season as it seemed that worked well for everyone.

I am really looking forward to the next months, this is my FAVORITE diving of the year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom