Diving Florida on a Budget---Need Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clernix

Contributor
Reaction score
I am hoping to make my first trip to Florida this summer. Unfortunately this is an unplanned trip so I didn’t budget for it. I do want to get some more diving in this year but would like to keep costs down. I am driving down from Ohio in August in hopes of catching the Goliath grouper aggregation in Jupiter.

I’ve priced the diving and the rooms and they seem to be a little high but manageable. I am looking at a room for about $95 a night. This is based off of the ratings I am seeing. I would love to go lower all I really want is clean. I don’t need any amenities but plugs to charge my batteries and clean sheets.

So if there are any insider tips on a nice place to stay that’s the first questions.

I spoke to Scuba-world on the phone and was surprised to hear you are charged
a tank rental feel outside of the boat dive fee. I found out this seems to be the norm.

Second question would be best prices on diving in Jupiter along with quality.

I plan three boat dives and the rest Blue Heron.

My biggest budget issue is the Keys. Key West is insane on prices. I have read some threads where they mention other Keys that are as good or better. I can’t seem to find the thread again.

Any insider tips for the keys would be good. Even a two or three day liveaboard would be an option to stay out of the hotels.

Thanks for any help.

I am sure that many local divers will be able to advise you, especially in regards to Jupiter diving.

I just wanted to point you toward the recent thread below. A foreign visitor on a tight budget was looking for advice on Florida diving, but she was mostly looking at Fort Lauderdale and the Keys. I just thought that the thread might contain some information that will be pertinent to you.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/506873-florida.html

The Best Western Intracoastal Inn in Jupiter definitely has rooms in that price point. I have had several family members stay there, and while not very luxurious, they were happy with it and it was clean. You can walk to several restaurants from there along the riverwalk.

The Holiday Inn express in Juno is nice too, and a short (1 block) walk to the beach. If you can get a decent rate there I would consider this as a good option as well. There is a cluster of restaurants in this area too.

There is a LA Quinta in Jupiter as well in a good location and also the Jupiter Waterfront Inn, but I have no direct experience with those hotels.

I would tend to avoid recommending the Fairfield and Comfort Inn in Jupiter, mainly because right behind them is a neighborhood of questionable safety.

As for the diving, I would recommend JDC and Capt Sl8R. Some boats out of Lake Park and Riviera will dive Jupiter but then you have a much longer boat ride.

The La Quinta in Jupiter was excellent.

If you want to go cheap, there is a motel 6 in Dania Beach, there is a nicer hotel over on Sheridan St. The dive shop Home Page is a couple hundred yards away and the beach about a mile away. You can dive off the beach. It gets good about a pier length and a half but there is structure 100 yds off the beach. The erojacks are about two miles away. There is diving off of Hollywood beach, about 3 miles to the south. Get a copy of McAllisters shore dives and you're good to go.

USE THE BIGGEST FLAG YOU CAN, DON'T USE A HANKY FLAG ON A BALL WHEN SHORE DIVING.

Prices at the Pelican are reasonable for the keys, it's old 1950's style. I like it but it's not for everyone

The Pelican - Vacation Cottages, Key Largo, Florida - 99340 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, FL 33037 - (877) 451-3576

Check out the dive shop websites on Key Largo, some of them have 10 dive special rate packages, some have hotel packages

Last edited:
I am hoping to make my first trip to Florida this summer. Unfortunately this is an unplanned trip so I didn’t budget for it. I do want to get some more diving in this year but would like to keep costs down. I am driving down from Ohio in August in hopes of catching the Goliath grouper aggregation in Jupiter.

I’ve priced the diving and the rooms and they seem to be a little high but manageable. I am looking at a room for about $95 a night. This is based off of the ratings I am seeing. I would love to go lower all I really want is clean. I don’t need any amenities but plugs to charge my batteries and clean sheets.

So if there are any insider tips on a nice place to stay that’s the first questions.

I spoke to Scuba-world on the phone and was surprised to hear you are charged
a tank rental feel outside of the boat dive fee. I found out this seems to be the norm.

Second question would be best prices on diving in Jupiter along with quality.

I plan three boat dives and the rest Blue Heron.

My biggest budget issue is the Keys. Key West is insane on prices. I have read some threads where they mention other Keys that are as good or better. I can’t seem to find the thread again.

Any insider tips for the keys would be good. Even a two or three day liveaboard would be an option to stay out of the hotels.

Thanks for any help.

Goliath Grouper is best in mid-August to mid-September.

La Quinta is nice, about 5 minutes drive from Jupiter Dive Center, about 15 minutes drive from Blue Heron Bridge and 5 minutes from the beach, it looks like it's about $67 p/night
Jupiter Hotels - Where to stay when diving with Jupiter Dive Center

Boat fee, rental tanks, rental gear are all priced individually, it is the norm here (north of the Keys), JDC is $70 for a 2 tank dive, book online and it is $65
https://divecenters.scubaocity.com/index.cfm?go=divecalendar

Key Largo is where you would want to stay for daily outings. For Key West I would highly recommend the Spree Liveaboard, Spree Expeditions Inc. | Dry Tortugas Scuba Diving Liveaboard | M/V Spree Diving the Dry Tortugas | Florida Key Wrecks | Bahamas

In Jupiter: look at multi-trip discount 'cards'. That might save a few bucks if you plan several days of boat diving. Most locals have their own tanks hence the prices quoted in Jupiter, WPB, Boynton, Pompano usually only include the boat fee. In the Keys, most shops quote their prices with air tanks included: I assume because the Keys get more tourist divers while the mainland operators service lots and lots of Florida based divers.
|
Key Largo diving is better than Key West in my mind. Though the Vandenberg is a pretty fun KW dive site. If you decide to stay in Key Largo: check out the local hotel called the Pelican (former name was Hungry Pelican). Their small rooms are dirt cheap.... I'd never take my wife there since it is spartan and not terribly nice, but it is perfect for a dive trip when the only time you'll spend in the hotel is sleeping. They do have a nice dock over the bay where you can enjoy a brew and watch the sun set before grabbing dinner.

Pay attention to which hotels are listed at a dive op.'s webpage. I saved a good chunk of change nightly at Jupiter Waterfront Inn by mentioning I was diving with Jupiter Dive Center (last year), and I don't think JDC's website had mentioned a discount with them.

When you call, bring it up!

Richard.

I would say to aim for key largo, not key west. Key west might be good for the experience of bars etc, but I prefer the diving in Key largo. Once when I was on a tight budget I stayed at the top of the keys, (choice hotel I think) and then had a 30 mi. Drive in the morning to the boats. Hotels are cheaper here, and good with restuarants etc. I probably would only do it again if I was on a tight budget though.
diving prices in the keys can be reduced if you do 5 trips, silent world have a 210 option for 5 trips, I think rainbow reef is 15 bucks more.

for BHB/Jupiter have you considered rentals through homeaway? Some can be affordable and allow you to save money on food by self-catering. I stayed at atlantic shores vacation homes in singer island and they were mini- suites for 89, very close to BHB.

Other than that, I have stayed int he La Quinta mentioned above and its good. Also you could look into Hotwire and their 'secret' hotels section, I have got a Hilton, Weston and another 'resort' hotel for 80-90 a night.

have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom