Diving Deaths, Boynton Beach....PBP News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joystershell:
Yes people, lets show some consideration to our friends here. Kevin didn't ask for this task. I'm certain he didn't rehearse an interview. Let him have some peace, he's not the bad man here. No one was.
Let's also not overreact here. No one is blaming anyone as far as I can see here, nor saying that anyone did anything less than a great job handling a terrible set of circumstances.

However, there are guidelines for speaking to the press after an accident/incident, at least for PADI, and there are definite reasons for such guidelines in order to protect ALL involved.

MoonWrasse:
Let's also not overreact here. No one is blaming anyone as far as I can see here, nor saying that anyone did anything less than a great job handling a terrible set of circumstances.

However, there are guidelines for speaking to the press after an accident/incident, at least for PADI, and there are definite reasons for such guidelines in order to protect ALL involved.
I could see that IF the divers were on the DM's boat. But they weren't... these "divers" were on their own boat, with their own equipment. There was no "responsible party" other than the 2 people who were involved in the accident. This has nothing to do with PADI, or any other dive organization. The person who found the bodies was just a discoverer... Why is there a need for organizational protocol here?

howarde:
I could see that IF the divers were on the DM's boat. But they weren't... these "divers" were on their own boat, with their own equipment. There was no "responsible party" other than the 2 people who were involved in the accident. This has nothing to do with PADI, or any other dive organization. The person who found the bodies was just a discoverer... Why is there a need for organizational protocol here?
Good guidelines are good guidelines; I don't really see any question of organizational protocols in play here.

Frankly I'd restrain myself from speaking much to the press in a non-diving incident, for the same reasons.

MoonWrasse:
Good guidelines are good guidelines; I don't really see any question of organizational protocols in play here.

Frankly I'd restrain myself from speaking much to the press in a non-diving incident, for the same reasons.

Knowing Kevin (as many of us obviously do-- and many obviously do not) I would not be surprised if what was alliterated to him was something a reporter unintentionally overheard while Kev was being debriefed.

Kevin, as the rescuer, has no obligation to anyone in this matter, other than to himself and Captain Lynn. Period!

At least he had the balls to do something. And the experience to accomplish such a task.

'nuff said, you weren't there, you don't know the circumstances and you sure as heck should feel fortunate that there are people like Kev that would go well and far beyond the norm to help someone.

diver doh:
Knowing Kevin (as many of us obviously do-- and many obviously do not) I would not be surprised if what was alliterated to him was something a reporter unintentionally overheard while Kev was being debriefed.

Kevin, as the rescuer, has no obligation to anyone in this matter, other than to himself and Captain Lynn. Period!

At least he had the balls to do something. And the experience to accomplish such a task.

'nuff said, you weren't there, you don't know the circumstances and you sure as heck should feel fortunate that there are people like Kev that would go well and far beyond the norm to help someone.
And neither were you. Please help keep this civil and constructive.

MoonWrasse:
And neither were you. Please help keep this civil and constructive.

I was.... you were the one that were acting on absolutely no knowledge of the people involved.

Divesherpa (who is a co-worker of Kev's and his bud) stated the case best.

I will be asking Netdoc to close this thread. Truly constructive dialogue should be in the "diving accidents" thread, not in a local forum.

Guys, Can't we all just get along. No one (myself included) is faulting Kevin for anything. I think we can all agree he went above and beyond, and did the best he could. I don't think anyone is questioning that.

We are just discussing a situation and assumed events as we all stipulate we weren't there. Thats what Scubaboard is, a discussion board. If we can't talk about this why have Scubaboard.

Monday morning quarterbacking the situation (or any situation) is Exactly what we should be doing. Thats how we learn. We disect the chain of events (Wether they are right wrong or indifferent) and learn from what we talked about.

N@rco$i$:
Guys, Can't we all just get along. No one (myself included) is faulting Kevin for anything. I think we can all agree he went above and beyond, and did the best he could. I don't think anyone is questioning that.

We are just discussing a situation and assumed events as we all stipulate we weren't there. Thats what Scubaboard is, a discussion board. If we can't talk about this why have Scubaboard.

Monday morning quarterbacking the situation (or any situation) is Exactly what we should be doing. Thats how we learn. We disect the chain of events (Wether they are right wrong or indifferent) and learn from what we talked about.
Well said!

N@rco$i$:

I don't think anyone has an issue with Monday morning quarterbacking the dive accident and the chanin of events that led to the tragic outcome. However, perceived Monday morning quartebacking of Kevin's purported communication to the press is a whole other issue that many will not find appropriate for Scubaboard.

Beyond the fact that no one knows what anyone actually said to the press or anyone else, it is nobodys business but Kevin's since he acted as a private citizen and had no legal duty or relationship to the victims. Also, very fortunately very few people have found themselves in the position Kevin faced. So, there are very few of us who have any idea how we would react in such a situation. With that, and the fact Kevin has many friends on this Board who are concerned about his well being, it would be tactful and respectful to keep comments related to the actual accident.

Thoughts and prayers to all involved.

It seems to me that too many out of town people are making comments on a local accident. Just because you came to Florida and dove on some charter boat and talked to the DM on the way back in, does not make you a local or knowlagable of the local dive spots/divers/water conditions etc... this man "Kevin" went beyond his call of duty and risked his own safety to rescue two people in need of help, how many of you would be willing to endanger your own lives? We need to show more support of our fellow divers and not being critical of someones actions in an emergency. Hats off to Kevin for his self-less deed!!! What and who does it hurt, if he mentioned that those two poor souls were using improper or faulty gear?!?! We need to learn from this sad event and remember that you must keep your gear in 100% and practice practice practice... Does anyone remmeber about two or three years back, this very thing happened in west palm beach and they were using out dated equipment????
And no, I am not cold to the victims..my prayers go out to them and their family.

for: ITOTE
"Quicquid bene dictum est ab ullo meum est."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom