Diving Deaths, Boynton Beach....PBP News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Will - for posting your eye witness account of the incident.

Hi,

I'm not a scuba diver but I came here to say that one of these divers is my cousin. She was just 32 and trying to rescue her boyfriend. The funeral is Thursday and her mom is burying her there in FL because she loved it there and loved the ocean.

But I do want to thank you all for your well wishes. Her mom and sister are holding up. There are still many conflicting stories about what exactly happened. But one thing is for sure - I don't think she wanted to survive if her boyfriend couldn't.

wharper:
I dont know everyone here, but I know a few. I am going to just say my piece and nothing about this subject will come from me ever again. That having been said, coming from someone who was on board the Splashdown with the original distress call went out about this particular incident, I just want everyone to know what really transpired. I am only offering this information so there hopefully can be no more finger pointing and name calling from any of you anymore. I havent been diving all that long, but every single dive I have done from my first OW to my DM course I am now in has been with Lynn, Kevin and Guido. I have been given the extreme honor of being allowe to work on Lynn's boat and I have been given the honor to have someone of Kevin Metz's caliber, both professionally and personally train me in becoming a professional level diver.

Saturday afternoon, a distress call came out about 2 divers that were missing in the area of Glufstream/Lynn's Reef off the Boynton Inlet. Captain Simmons and the Delta Splash was on it's usual afternoon trip when this call went out. Once Captain Simmons gathered all of her divers on her boat she then joined up with the Palm Beach County Sheriff, the United States Coast Guard at a location where the divers were thought to have gone in the water. Once Captain Simmons located the true position, she deployed 2 of her divers, Mr. Metz and myself on both the inside portion of the ledge and the outside portion of the ledge. Mr. Metz located both victims tangled in the rope in about 50 feet of water on the very top of Lynn's Reef. I surfaced after about 10 minutes of searching and observed Mr. Metz assisting the Coast Guard remove both victims from the water. Once both victims were loaded onto the Coast Guard vessel they were taken to the Sheriff's dock at Boynton Inlet. After several minutes of unsuccessful CPR and other BLS attempts, both individuals were taken by ambulance to a local hospital. Mr. Metz gave his statement to the authorities and that was the end of it.

It is my opinion, and only my personal opinion that witnessing all these events, for what ever vantage point those that were on the water that day, was unsettling. Furthermore, for those of you that were not there, and for those of you that have opinions about what should or shouldnt have been said to the media by anyone involved are more than welcomed in any civil discussion about this. I personally widh to have no more discussion on this subject and I think I speak for my instructor and very close friend Kevin Metz, that he would like to put this incident behind him as well.

In closing, I agree with those who feel that this should be taken and applied to prevent mistakes and accidents like this in the future. I personally feel, and this is my opinion only again, that is the only way we (a collective group of divers) can learn and become more attentive. I hope my opinions on this subject do not cause another nasty and adolescent exchage as previous posts have, for if that were to happen I would be extremely disappointed in my fellow family of divers.

I appreciate everyone letting me say my piece.

Will

The problem being that there was no one pointing fingers or name calling, as well as any nasty and adolescent exchange as you claim previous posts have, except a couple that were opposed to the question and blew it out of context.

I think it is wise to leave it to the other thread concerning the question issue and will not try not to post here on the question issue again.

jjung:
Hi,

I'm not a scuba diver but I came here to say that one of these divers is my cousin. She was just 32 and trying to rescue her boyfriend. The funeral is Thursday and her mom is burying her there in FL because she loved it there and loved the ocean.

But I do want to thank you all for your well wishes. Her mom and sister are holding up. There are still many conflicting stories about what exactly happened. But one thing is for sure - I don't think she wanted to survive if her boyfriend couldn't.
I truely hope the best for your entended family through this unfortunate time.
Thanks for posting this here.

We have had many stories here on the board, some tragic, some seemingly full of miracles. As anyone who dives with a significant other here knows. This could have been any of us. I believe in being a self-reliant diver. I believe that be should be able to "self-rescue" as the training teaches us. Then again, we all need help sometimes, and bad stuff happens to good people. I congratulate those who attemped to help, and send condolences to those who need it. When I pass, I only hope it is doing something I love, in the presence of someone I love. Although, I would not want my wife to suffer of my death, I know she would, as it would tear me apart to have something happen to her and I survive it. May they be happy wherever they are, for at least there, they are together.

TerryInFlorida:
Not trying to piss you off or anything but what do you call this threadmakers intel?

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=6410

Pot, kettle, black... Or sheer horse poop? lol...

Great job, Terry. You found a piece of the puzzle that leads me to my current opinion. I rescended this 4 year old information a few days after it was stated. I am not going to deny guilt in this scenario. In my defense, it was 4 years ago, and I made an emotional error in judgement. If you keep digging (a time consuming process)a few years earlier, you may find a few more.

Diving is a fun past-time for many. Unfortunately for some, bodies must be recovered and families must deal with losing someone very close. The recovering diver in this case is a great DM and a great friend to all who allow him to be. He did not ask to recover dead bodies and did not complain about doing this necessary deed. Discouraging his actions or stirring the kettle does nothing good for diving.

If you really want to start a hijack about my character flaws and past mistakes, I would suggest starting another thread, maybe two. I'm certain it will break the Scubaboard record for most posts in a thread.

Thanks to Will for posting the first hand account of this tragedy. Thanks to the Splashdown crew for bringing closure to the family. My condolences to the family for their tremendous loss.

Sincerely,
Jamie Rumph

i thought monday quaterbacking was just plain gossip without all the facts

those that were there and witnessed the events did what they could and i would like to think the family appreciates their care and effort in bringing their loved ones back.

I hope Kev, Lyn and all the others there are ok. as someone that has witnessed and dealt with 3 fatalities (non scuba) in 3 months i know how it can screw with your mind so i hope all those involved are ok with whats happened.

did Kev/should kev talk to the press? to be honest i take the reporters quotes with a grain of salt, add this to the emotion and stress of the situation and prefer to make no judgment of the situation whatsoever.

to those on the boat that helped out in whatever way they could - well done! its good to see people still prepared to step up to the plate and do a job that most would rather observe and then talk about later.

to the family also - i can only hope they have the strength to deal with their sad loss, and not just for today... for them this will last forever.

safe diving everyone

jjung:
Hi,

Please know that the thoughts & prayers of all of Scubaboard are with both your families. Thank you for posting.

My prayers are with Kevin too- hang in there, Kev.

In case anyone who reads this thread doesn't know about the accidents and incidents thread about the same accident.

Kevin posted his account of the story here.

It's quite a detailed report - Thanks Kevin !

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1759565&postcount=45

howarde:
[rant]
???

Most of the people who have posted on this subject are regulars with Splashdown Divers.

Divesherpa, Joystershell, and myself dive with them on a regular basis almost weekly. Waterbearer - WAS THERE, and I commend her for having the courage to post anything about such a traumatizing experience. We are also friends with Kevin outside of diving. Many of the other posters in the thread (save a few) are also well acquainted with Kevin and Lynn.

I hope you (Jacques) weren't referring to my comments regarding the conditions etc, since I have over 50 trips on the Delta Splash in the last year alone. I would say that I am quite knowledgeable on the conditions there.

Splashdown Divers, aside from being my favorite dive operation, IS IMO - the BEST dive operation that I have gone diving with in South Florida, no make that anywhere. What other DM starts his safety briefing with, "My name is Kevin, and I'm here to help"

Hey take it down a notch, be calm... I never said a word about you, I read your profile..you live in Ft. Lauderdale, so you would be a local...right?! I think you know the people I'm talking about. This board has turned into a mosh pit of emotions...I am almost sorry I ever joined and had to see the ugly face of fellow divers. Bad enough I had to endure a group of Rude Divers at the Pier LBS on this past sunday...easter of all days!!. Mowed right over the top of the three of us...I never thought I would have to give that "hand signal" while diving, but some people just deserve it. Is there no civility in this world anymore?? I appologize to anyone I have greatly offended and caused emotional distress, I should not be pointing fingers at other people, just as they may do to others, this does not make it right. So, not to be a hypocritical jerk..I leave you all to fight like sharks in a feeding frenzy. If anyone wants to go Diving and not brandish words, let me know. I'd rather be doing what this board is suppose to be all about...DIVING!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom