Diving Couple rescued in Gulf of Mexico off Hernando Beach, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I left the LP thread alone as it's more about the visit to their store by both groups prior to their TV appearance. And not blatant advertising.

Thanks for that Steve... wasn't sure if the way I requested the merge was appropriate but it was the best way I could think of:)

I left the LP thread alone as it's more about the visit to their store by both groups prior to their TV appearance. And not blatant advertising.
Ok, it should probly be in another forum...

Ah ha! Interesting. So they were taking turns diving so as to not leave the boat empty, and dad went alone on his. BTW, did you get Dive Alert whistles? They carry further than Storm whistles.

Don

DiveAlerts are good for signalling a boat that is at anchor with the engines turned off. If your going to be diving in the ocean people should save the money buying one and put it towards a PLB so they can be assured of rescue and be in control. Its not such a great thing to be pressing the buttom of a DiveAlert hoping that a passing boat under power hears you only to result in the boat motoring on past and you being deaf in the ear closest to the DiveAlert.

Sure its a nice jester for LP to extend but its a false security blanket. I speak from the voice of experience.

John

Don

DiveAlerts are good for signalling a boat that is at anchor with the engines turned off. If your going to be diving in the ocean people should save the money buying one and put it towards a PLB so they can be assured of rescue and be in control. Its not such a great thing to be pressing the buttom of a DiveAlert hoping that a passing boat under power hears you only to result in the boat motoring on past and you being deaf in the ear closest to the DiveAlert.

Sure its a nice jester for LP to extend but its a false security blanket. I speak from the voice of experience.

John
Well he said some boats came close but weren't watching his way. $50 Dive Alert that works anywhere in the world - instant response, or $500 for a PLB and there is a lot more to that discussion. I think we'll save more divers with 10-$50 Dive Alerts, one to a diver, than 2-$500 PLBs, one to a Dive Master.

Now I'm sure this couple would have been glad to pay cash money for a couple of them after a night bobbing in the Gulf trying to stay together. (Gawd! I still shudder at that thot!!) Why don't you open a new thread about the units on Basic Scuba, including pros and cons...?

I still think every diver should be checking every tank for Carbon Monoxide, but we each have our pet issues. I take my Dive Alert and Cabon Monoxide analyzer everywhere.

Last edited:
Well he said some boats came close but weren't watching his way. $50 Dive Alert that works anywhere in the world - instant response, or $500 for a PLB and there is a lot more to that discussion. I think we'll save more divers with 10-$50 Dive Alerts, one to a diver, than 2-$500 PLBs, one to a Dive Master.

Now I'm sure this couple would have been glad to pay cash money for a couple of them after a night bobbing in the Gulf trying to stay together. Why don't you open a new thread about the units on Basic Scuba, including pros and cons...?

I still think every diver should be checking every tank for Carbon Monoxide, but we each have our pet issues. I take my Dive Alert and Cabon Monoxide analyzer everywhere.

After you have been floating in the ocean for 5 hours or 9 hours like I have in the past and your $50 Dive Alert has produced zero results to get the attention of the passing boats (thats providing that there are any passing boats which you cannot be guaranteed will be the case) and the prospect of spending a night on the water approaches you will wish you could and had spent that $500 for a PLB. You will wish you had spent less on the nice shiny well marketed high price regulator and used the money for a PLB.

It's the only sure way to ensure you will be rescued and be in control of a very bad situation. A DiveAlert will work in some situation but you do not have control over the situation you find yourself in.

I am not going to start a discussion thread. Let my few posting here serve as a voice of real world experience and recommendation to others.

Proceed at your own peril, you have been advised.

John

Well, I don't want to discuss the Cons of those on this thread, but if you don't want to open a thread - fine. I do understand your feelings with your experiences, and this couple may well want more info. :eek:

Thank you! In this case we tied off on a buoy, but something else I do is coil the excess anchor rope up and tie it to a buoy that I toss overboard. If there is a problem the kids are instructed to untie from the cleat and back away from the buoy. It just save's time pulling the anchor in the event of an emergency.

Hello Dandy!
I am not trying to defend or justify my actions on the day of the rescue. I know for a fact that I could have done some things better or differently. I am sharing the information to do my part to support a ÅÍearning culture as I hope you are.
Newbie diver- yes to scuba, not to free diving. I felt comfortable with the plan I had, but could have done better with communicating to my oldest son. He was supposed to stay in the boat, but I may have spent more discussing things with my younger son. My youngest son was to free dive around me for about 20mins. I didnÃÕ plan on staying down any longer than that. The boys were having fun and used all but 1200psi. in one of the tanks. We were diving in 25 of water with good visibility and around 1 m-60 army tank that the boat was moored to. I didnÃÕ really plan on shooting anything, didnÃÕ care if I did. I had been watching the boys for 45mins. and just wanted to get wet. Shame on me?I know deaths occur in shallow depths, what I would do 25 of water is not exactly what I would do in greater depths.
1) I did have float plan. My folks, my wife and the people at the marina new exactly where I was at and when IÃÅ be back.
2) Dive with a buddy- ( I donÃÕ have buddies, thatÃÔ why I bought a dog- just kidding! ) I have heard that when spear fishing the buddies sometimes split up. I can relate this to hunting, stalking or driving game animals. I am looking for opinions on this? I am pretty sure they would error towards the side of safety and suggest using a buddy, but I am wonder.
3) Both boys can operate the boat. My 15year old daughter is learning. The boys can use the gps for basic navigation and how to read their current position, they can use the vhf and do the radio checks for me, they also know where the safety signaling devices are and how to use them.
Respectfully,
Pat

What is causing these odd characters to show up on posts? Is it my end or everyone having the problem. I've had to edit some out of some paste posts I've done lately.
Hello Dandy!
I am not trying to defend or justify my actions on the day of the rescue. I know for a fact that I could have done some things better or differently. I am sharing the information to do my part to support a learning culture as I hope you are.
Great attitude, and yep - that's all I am suggesting, for anyone who reads, including yourself if you want it: some safer approaches to some actions.

Not that I am Mr.Safety, nope - but I am trying to dive safer. I certainly have pull some bonehead stunts in the water and survived uninjured, unlost, way too lucky. I was raised in wild farm & cow environment and survived a lot of wild risks over my pre-teen years on so I do have a problem with safe attitudes, but I am trying - and always want my posts suggesting safety. I do want to be courteous too, but I'll skate on that to get my points across at times.
Newbie diver- yes to scuba, not to free diving. I felt comfortable with the plan I had, but could have done better with communicating to my oldest son. He was supposed to stay in the boat, but I may have spent more discussing things with my younger son. My youngest son was to free dive around me for about 20mins. I didnÃÕ plan on staying down any longer than that. The boys were having fun and used all but 1200psi. in one of the tanks. We were diving in 25 of water with good visibility and around 1 m-60 army tank that the boat was moored to. I didnÃÕ really plan on shooting anything, didnÃÕ care if I did. I had been watching the boys for 45mins. and just wanted to get wet. Shame on me?I know deaths occur in shallow depths, what I would do 25 of water is not exactly what I would do in greater depths.
It's great to have fun as a family. My grandkids worry me with their carelessness. Try to keep it fun and safe both.
1) I did have float plan. My folks, my wife and the people at the marina new exactly where I was at and when IÃÅ be back.
Goooood! I still strongly believe in every boat having a qualified pilot at all times, but that's a good back up - as sometimes you just can't keep the boat manned, I know.
2) Dive with a buddy- ( I donÃÕ have buddies, thatÃÔ why I bought a dog- just kidding! ) I have heard that when spear fishing the buddies sometimes split up. I can relate this to hunting, stalking or driving game animals. I am looking for opinions on this? I am pretty sure they would error towards the side of safety and suggest using a buddy, but I am wonder.
Ask me again in 100 dives. :shakehead:
3) Both boys can operate the boat. My 15year old daughter is learning. The boys can use the gps for basic navigation and how to read their current position, they can use the vhf and do the radio checks for me, they also know where the safety signaling devices are and how to use them.
Respectfully,
Pat
Sounds like they're good seamen; just a few suggestions nonetheless. I hope you all wear PFDs aboard. I am often the only one who does on small dive boats, but I do.

Back
Top Bottom