Diving Couple rescued in Gulf of Mexico off Hernando Beach, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CrackedConch

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A married couple diving from their private boat 20 miles out of Hernando Beach, FL was rescued by two teens and their father Sunday. The married couple had surfaced and not been able to get back to their own boat due to currents. They had been adrift for 24 hours.

Two important things: 1. Never dive and leave your boat unattended--always bring a non-diving friend to remain topside or rotate divers in the water so there is always someone on the boat. 2. File a float plan so someone will know to come looking for you.

These people were extremely lucky someone saw them!!

Here's the link to the story:

Pasco brothers rescue couple in gulf - St. Petersburg Times

Glad they were found----2 things...Looks like it's a good idea to have a SS on hand @ all times AND everyone makes mistakes, the smart ones learn from theirs....guess it will take a while to see if the couple is smart or not......

Again, glad for their safe recovery.......

I also carry a fresh water pack in my DAN sausage just in case something like this ever happens to me.

I also carry a fresh water pack in my DAN sausage just in case something like this ever happens to me.
You leave your boat empty while you dive...?!

You leave your boat empty while you dive...?!
No!
Absolutely not!
Unless, of course, we can't find anyone to babysit the boat... then we have to, don'tchaknow... otherwise we'd have to cancel the dive, and, well, you know how that decision process goes in the dive-addicted brain, right?
:D
But nevertheless, my sage advice is **never leave your boat unattended**
Rick

I was on a private boat with a couple of nice fellows in Seattle once and their dive plan was to leave the boat empty each time. We discussed the surfacing possibilities and projected tidal currents in detail for each dive, but these were really more like boat assisted shore dives. Would not do it in the Gulf! Amazing what that meandering current can surprise you with.

The classic story still goes to the lobster hunters who were found a day after they went missing because their boat drifted loose, still with their weights and their full catch bags.

I would take the advice here as step further. NOt only is it critical to leave someone on the boat, it must be someone who understands how to use the radio, how to pull the anchor, how to start the boat and how to drive the boat.

Merely leaving any old breathing human being may not do the trick. Imagine surfacing down current, and not being able to get back to the boat while someone on board screws around with trying to weigh anchor and start the engine?

I also have to say, the two teenaged brothers who rescued the couple sound extremely poised and clearly made excellent decisions. A lot of people might not have reacted so well in that situation.

Great job guys!

Jeff

Perhaps a better idea is if you are leaving your boat unattended that before starting the dive check the anchor to make sure it is secure on the ocean flood.

Of course even that does not mean your boat will not leave without you. Last month even with the boat being attended as I swam towards it I noticed the stern anchor 15 above the floor. I decided to grab on and go for a ride. The really funny part was that after we were on board we spent 20 minutes trying to keep the boat in place for the other divers who were still in the water but we finally gave up and moved about 100 yards away. The divers in the water came back right to where the boat was - and started swimming in circles wondering where the boat was.

1. Never dive and leave your boat unattended--

Is that actually a legal option? I watched a guy on the St. Lawrence river get a major (verbal) butt-kicking from either the Border Patrol or Coast Guard (don't remember which) for leaving his boat unattended while diving.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom