• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Diving Blue Heron Bridge & the Palm Beaches

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Sorrows, Oct 13, 2010.

1. danvolker

danvolker Contributor

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I would be willing to show you guys the Pumphouse dive ( Inlet dive) Sunday, if you are still in town...I would show up and offer today, but did a race pace 55 miles this morning on my bike, and I am feeling too trashed to want to dive in the next couple of hours :)
    Regards,
    DanV

2. OneRestlessNative

OneRestlessNative Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I'm still interested in joining you on that dive. I'm assuming once inside the inlet it might be a relatively easy dive, but what about the entry conditions? This is the forecast for tomorrow from Marine Weather Underground. What are your thoughts on the conditions and if that is something that isn't an issue (for future reference)?

Coastal Waters From Jupiter Inlet To Deerfield Beach, Fl Out 20 Nm-
    Waters From Jupiter Inlet To Deerfield Beach

Sunday
    East northeast winds 12 to 15 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Dominant period 7 seconds. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop

On another note that is a great offer to the OP as well. It is cool to see the locals step up and offer up such good information and invite fellow SB'ers to join you as well.

3. danvolker

danvolker Contributor

If the swells coming into the inlet are 5 footers, the vis will be poor for this dive, and it would be a no-go. Weather around here is often predicted badly, and if it is west at all, this could be just fine.

Once inside the inlet, it is pretty easy...if the diver decides to go into the cut, and do the channel, then it is a virtual overhead, so the issues then make it more advanced. Coming up to the surface in the channel area is phenomenally dangerous, so in this area it can be considered a more advanced dive--for that reason. Also, if you dive it beyond the slack tide, it quickly becomes more like a river dive, and with some significant skills required at that point :)

Let's see what the weather says Sunday morning or around noon--we should know by then.

Regards,

DanV

4. Scott L

Scott L Contributor

# of Dives:
    LN says you are a kick $#@ cyclist. :thumb:

5. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board Staff Member

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    OK, I was surprised to see that a few fishermen wanted to fish in the area with SO MANY divers. Jeesh! I must admit to freeing some live bait (so that it can keep living) and cutting a few lines and rescuing the lead! :D When the fish was off and the weight cut, I was sure to give a mighty yank on the line. :D :D :D I bet they thought they had Moby Dick on the line.

6. jimw

jimw Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Isn't that a venereal disease??:dork2:

7. Sorrows

Sorrows Contributor

# of Dives: 200 - 499

8. danvolker

danvolker Contributor

9. jet126

jet126 Regular of the Pub

10. Splitlip

Splitlip Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    You're joking, right? I am sure you are. But no need to fire people up.

And no need to antagonize the fishermen. Locals who dive the area regularly know the rules. If cutting lines was in fact the case, it should come as no surprise that the fishermen would cast to hit us or pull our flags.

I've gone through this surfing at the Juno pier. You get a few hot dogs breaking the "rules" and the rest of us get lead sinkers thrown at us or treble hooks in our flesh.