Diving Blue Heron Bridge & the Palm Beaches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, as I've reported, when we were diving the bridge, there were a few jerks fishing from the beach--the area I was told is reserved for swimmers. Or do the fishermen get to cast lines wherever they damn well please? There was a a father and child swimming not 30 feet from where I got hooked as well as a group of student divers. And I didn't do a blessed thing to antagonize anybody.

Dan, now you are really intriguing me. Is the jetty as good a dive as the bridge? Are there other shore dives in the area? Do we need to come back sooner than planned?

I'm sure it happened, but in the swim areas? Ocean rescue is there, and they get very possessive of the swim areas.

One of my best friends mans the tower several times a month. He (as most ocean rescue are) is a diver and a surfer. He, the other guards and Palm Beach County will not tolerate fishing in the swim area.

Now, if we were to be cutting lines and stealing tackle from fisherman legally fishing, I can see them getting pissed off.

If you went in by the sail boat ramp, that is not a designated swim area.

They were using ornamental reef fish for bait. If you put a butterfly fish on a hook and fish it near me, it will be freed. You can rant and rave all you want, but It's my beach and ocean too!

The real stupidity of it all, is that there are very few species in there that they can legally harvest and would want to eat. In fact, I have seen nothing worth catching.

I'm sure it happened, but in the swim areas? Ocean rescue is there, and they get very possessive of the swim areas.

One of my best friends mans the tower several times a month. He (as most ocean rescue are) is a diver and a surfer. He, the other guards and Palm Beach County will not tolerate fishing in the swim area.

Now, if we were to be cutting lines and stealing tackle from fisherman legally fishing, I can see them getting pissed off.

If you went in by the sail boat ramp, that is not a designated swim area.

Well, I'm just a tourist to the area, but we followed the map given to us; didn't see any ocean rescue, but perhaps because it was the Monday of Columbus Day? And, yes, it was a swim area--I know this because there were families picnicing, playing with their kids and SWIMMING. We entered near several swimmers and a huge group of students--perhaps the fishermen were aiming for them, I don't know. I'm just glad the hook got my wetsuit and not one of the kids.

Well, as I've reported, when we were diving the bridge, there were a few jerks fishing from the beach--the area I was told is reserved for swimmers. Or do the fishermen get to cast lines wherever they damn well please? There was a a father and child swimming not 30 feet from where I got hooked as well as a group of student divers. And I didn't do a blessed thing to antagonize anybody.

Dan, now you are really intriguing me. Is the jetty as good a dive as the bridge? Are there other shore dives in the area? Do we need to come back sooner than planned?

I would be shocked if you did not end up liking the pumphouse/jetty dive more than the BHB dive....this may not be the case for very serious macro hunters, but I think it will be the case for everyone else.

Regards,
DanV

As a reminder to BHB divers, if you are planning on going anywhere close to where people be fishing, it is worthwhile to occasionally surface briefly to check to see where people are fishing so you can avoid their lines.

The most common areas are anywhere close to either side of the fishing pier (obviously) as well as near any of the bridge footings accessible by shore, as well as along the wall on either side of the fishing pier. When the east side opens back up, generally there are people fishing on either side of the bridge.

It is easy to avoid their lines if you are courteous and look once in a while before you swim through. If you see people fishing, show some respect and give them a wide berth. There is plenty of space for everyone and plenty of things to look at, avoiding conflicts is pretty much just an issue of awareness of your surroundings.

In 35ish dives at the bridge I have never been hooked or casted at and I attribute this to showing courtesy to the others using the park in different ways.

They were using ornamental reef fish for bait. If you put a butterfly fish on a hook and fish it near me, it will be freed. You can rant and rave all you want, but It's my beach and ocean too!

The real stupidity of it all, is that there are very few species in there that they can legally harvest and would want to eat. In fact, I have seen nothing worth catching.

What you are suggesting is wrong. And if people here follow your example, I am pretty certain we, as divers, will feel the repercussion.

The submerged lands up to MHW belongs to the State. But unless you have a boat, access belongs to Palm Beach County, as does the fishing pier as well as the two fishing platforms.

If we all can't get along and push comes to shove, I promise you that the County will not prohibit fishing. In fact, 5 or 6 years ago, post Frances and prior to completion of the new facilities, the future of beach access for divers was hanging by a thread. There were those who went pro-active and were successful in keeping the park open to divers for beach access.

You will note however on the park's website that while fishing is prominently featured, there is no mention of diving.

Phil Foster Park

I implore everybody. Be good neighbors with the fishermen.

Well, I'm just a tourist to the area, but we followed the map given to us; didn't see any ocean rescue, but perhaps because it was the Monday of Columbus Day? And, yes, it was a swim area--I know this because there were families picnicing, playing with their kids and SWIMMING. We entered near several swimmers and a huge group of students--perhaps the fishermen were aiming for them, I don't know. I'm just glad the hook got my wetsuit and not one of the kids.

You were over at the sail boat ramp and fishing pier. The swimming area is further East. Between the East Dive Site and the West site. The guards do work Columbus day.

There is no fishing in the swimming area, nor are divers permitted to submerge in the swimming area. They can surface swim to access the different sites.

Yes, I remember that beach from last year when we dove the side of the bridge that is now closed. But no, I don't believe we were near a sailboat ramp--I'm quite familiar with those and I don't see how anyone could back up a trailer and launch a boat where we were--not enough clearance. And these fisherman were not on a pier, they were on the beachy area near the playground. There were families swimming there. I was actually more concerned for them than for myself--I, at least, was wearing a wetsuit. I got hooked when I stood up to get out of the water. What if that hook had found the toddler instead?

Look, I respect that you are trying to play peacemaker here, but I cannot see how anyone could condone fishing that close to where people are swimming.

From reading the above comments, I'm guessing that the fishing community has more political pull than the diving one? That's unfortunate. I've heard there is a movement afoot to have the area declared some sort of underwater park or preserve. I wish them the best of luck--I really feel that BHB is a very special place.

I would be shocked if you did not end up liking the pumphouse/jetty dive more than the BHB dive....this may not be the case for very serious macro hunters, but I think it will be the case for everyone else.

Regards,
DanV

Well, I do love macro, but I love the underwater creatures in all sizes and shapes. What are you likely to see at the pumphouse? BTW, could you guys come up with a better name, please? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom